What did you eat today - that you grew?

18 Likes

My haul today. I will give the tarragon and peppers away, I just keep the melon.

8 Likes

@TNHunter
Trev, the first Williams Pride was disappointing. Not a lot of flavor - but very pretty. Lovely little tree. Maybe the flavor will improve next year when the tree is a bit older.

3 Likes

Here is my haul today, I have lots of basil from my compost.

10 Likes

My haul today.

10 Likes

My haul today, I decided to pick all of my Honey Jar jujubes because the birds have discovered them.

8 Likes

Better Boys are ripening. They are always great tomatoes for me. I can’t get tomatoes worth growing from any of the beefsteaks. ? Can’t figure it out. I always plant one, tho . . . just in case one takes off. And I have been planting Early Girls - but they:
ONE - haven’t been early!
TWO - are never really very good.
This is the last year I will plant them.

9 Likes

made dewberry/ raspberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream. i licked the plate after. :wink:

2 Likes

Early Girls were the best of the garden at my Dad’s and sister’s places in California, but rather mediocre here in Wisconsin. Location, location, location!

2 Likes

My favorite tomato of all time, the Midnight Sun! First one of the season.

And one of my top canning tomatoes, Salvaterra Roma, that will be served for dinner tonight, along with the one above and a few more. Got a big crowd tonight!

11 Likes

Picked some Snow Queen nectarine. Most are still hard. They seem refuse to ripen. It definitely is late this year in my yard. I usually pick Snow Queen before Reliance which ripens around first of August. Does any Midwest or Chicagoland peach grower have similar experience this year?
Also, I see a lot cracked peaches, and am wandering what might be the causes. Appreciate anyone share the possible cause/solution.

8 Likes

My haul today and I picked a few melons last night.

8 Likes

Snow Queen is notorious for cracking. Usually this happens with too much water, specially after a stretch of dry weather.

2 Likes

Good to know. I did have period of heavy rain in the summer. I have noticed this problem because I have never had enough peaches ripen. Squirrels picked most fruits for me.
Snow Queen is very reliable and has great flavor. I really like it

1 Like

La Crescent plums. Unfortunately, not the best for fresh eating. Only 12-13 brix and too soft, but I’ve heard they have an apricot like taste when cooked. So I cooked some with sugar, made a syrup, and sure enough they do have an apricot taste when cooked. Pretty good. Very cold hardy and seem to always produce.

10 Likes

Every other day… big bowl full nice pods. Jambalaya okra

Eating and canning… may freeze some of these.

Found a few concords ripe today… got to get the bags on or birds will get most.

8 Likes

@TNHunter, I made some seafood gumbo today with my Anaheim peppers, I was inspired by your okra pictures, but they were store bought, my okra plants are tiny.

@SoCalGardenNut … our walmart has okra every now and then… but it always looks bad… somewhat beat up and bruised… perhaps i am just used to fresh picked :wink:

Taking some of todays harvest to my MIL…

Happy wife… happy life !!!

2 Likes

Mine didn’t look too bad, not as good as yours. I rarely buy anything that don’t look fresh.

Beautiful. I feel the same about my Shiro.

1 Like