What did you eat today - that you grew?

rosemary, thyme and oregano. Marinated with lamb kabobs.

4 Likes

Midnight Sun. A gorgeous variety created by Karen Olivier. To my palate the taste is lightly citrusy, sweet and refreshingly flavorful. Texture is somewhat buttery/creamy and juicy. It’s a unique tomato for looks and taste. I love it, but this year it has some serious contenders for the number 1 spot in my books. This year only the top 15 varieties will be selected for next year’s garden. Midnight Sun definitely makes the cut: she’s still a top 5.

Processing: E7D59142-EEFC-469F-83D6-96751AC2C88C.jpeg…
Uploading: 119BA654-2806-44B0-8665-3631E7EE4005.jpeg…
Uploading: F4D44D62-5BBE-4F3B-98D1-9B97615FE1E4.jpeg…
Uploading: D54D5B06-523D-43D4-A3D4-F9577BA9B9BC.jpeg…

Salvaterra Roma, weighing at 2 lbs and 1 oz of pure deliciousness. Last night, like we do before every dinner, we have tomato tasting time with the family, where we rate and critique every tomato variety that goes in a salad. By a landslide, everyone voted the Salvaterra Roma their favorite tomato so far this year. It was described as “like eating a steak, smokey, rich and juicy.” It’s almost a shame to can this tomato. Next year I’m considering having a whole row for this variety. The plants are also loaded. Fantastic variety for sure! The only problem with this tomato variety is that I need 10 of those tomatoes to be able to scrape a few seeds for next year!

6 Likes

And also this guy…

10 Likes

That a BEET?

It is. It’s a Bull’s Blood Beet to be specific. Isn’t she a beauty?

3 Likes

I bet the tops cook up good…especially mixed in with mustard or dandelion greens!

2 Likes

cook ours with some split kielbasa or smoked sausage.

Jim - all your stuff looks fantastic! :+1:t2: I wish we could grow melons like that. We battle mosaic here - always. My cucumbers succumb to it every summer - and only live for about a month, producing. Downhill from there.
Looking forward to trying Shiros next summer . . . if my graft is old enough to set fruit. Yours look great. What are the ones next to the Shiros? Not Toka? Our Tokas were wonderful - tiny but amazingly juicy and flavorful. First harvest of those.

2 Likes

2 big Charentais melons, sorry no picture, but they were good, very sweet. I’ve been picking them so naturally I have to eat some.

1 Like

:smiley: :yum:.

8 Likes

my tomatoes are just now flowering and making fruit.

we had orca beans, kale, yellow squash and chicken for dinner.

3 Likes

Just realized that my Midnight Sun Tomato pictures didn’t upload from my post above. In case you were wondering…

4 Likes

The only fruit I have left hanging after a lot of persimmons dropped and squirrels took all my peaches, pears and apples way before they were ripe is 2 Lehman’s delight American persimmons and my first fair crop of muscadines. I’m hoping those make it across the finish line. In the meantime tomatoes and bitter melon are coming in heavy. I was away from a week and harvested these bitter melon off just two vines and have about as many of the bumpy kind still to harvest as well. I ate one of them at lunch. The smooth ones are definitely less bitter than the bumpy ones, but I enjoy both. I got my first Tromboncino today from a late planting, so those should be coming in pretty heavy soon as well.

Next I need to get out there to get the rest of the tomatoes, but just grabbed the big fella before the squirrels saw it. It is a Mega Marv, which is living up to its name. Not the prettiest tomatoes, but there are a few ripening bigger than this one, so amusing to grow.

7 Likes

hey, thanks for the compliment. Those plums are Methley plums. They have been consistent and delicious for 5 years now, love that tree. I have a Toka tree, which really hasn’t produced yet. I think the Toka tree is 4 years old now, makes a few plums, not enough to make netting the tree worthwhile. Hopefully next year! Glad your Tokas were good!

4 Likes

This Mariana’s Peace tomato that just ripened was so good. I made this caprese salad with some of my basil.

9 Likes

My haul today, I can’t believe I’m excited to see a zucchini, but here it is.

9 Likes

@SoCalGardenNut

If you have not tried this… you need to.

Okra, squash, potatoes, onions all fried together…

Mmmm good.

We dont do potatoes now days but that is a awesome mix.

4 Likes

Thanks @TNHunter! I don’t really like fried food. But I’m going to quickly sauté this zucchini with onion. I like my vegetables not too mushy, a bit on the crunchy side.

1 Like

My haul today.

4 Likes

I picked this huge melon in the afternoon, I think it’s ripe and I don’t want it to be super ripe either, my husband prefers it not as ripe.

8 Likes