What did you eat today - that you grew?

My very first Asian pear!! A Hosui that dropped. I thought this day would never come. It could have been a little sweeter but overall was really good. A sort of melt in your mouth texture that I’ve come to love with these fruits. My family said grainy but not to me.

I thought they were not ready to be picked. I really have no idea. Heres tree.

Also this chojuro tree has fruits that seem to be ripening at different rates. I checked and there isn’t a graft on this side. How do I know for sure when they are ready? They look like different varieties but I don’t think so.

19 Likes

I’m another fan of these, and the similar Black Boy. They’re not ripe for me for another month or so. When ripe, they make unusual but excellent jam, sauce, and cobbler.

Just harvest one branch of my Carolina Gold. Let them sit for a few days to soften then making pie and jam. There are a few more hundred peaches on the 12 years old 20 feet tree.

Tony

12 Likes

Ros, i have two trees. One appears to be the same variety as yours. Some do ripen quite a bit earlier than others. Nice when fully ripe. Ive been dehydrating many for snacks.

1 Like

12 Likes

Look yummy. No worm holes/bug bites either.

3 Likes

I just picked these and haven’ eaten them yet. Thinking about slicing the eggplant longways in half, stuffing and baking them with some roasted potatoes on the side. Decisions, decisions….

11 Likes

Okra and figs today… and some apple / blackberry jam from last year.

9 Likes

Flavor Treat - picked in advance by my daughter. My estimate is this should ripen by late Sep/early Oct going by @fruitnut reports. It is already at 16 brix and very enjoyable. I don’t know why this is purged from DWN’s offering, it’s website and everywhere online. It’s a low-acid, high brix, crisp texture pluot along the same lines as Flavor Grenade.

15 Likes

I don’t know either. Maybe it’s too late ripening to have wide appeal. It’s a variety I hope to acquire again soon.

2 Likes

More figs. A subset of today’s harvest. These are Ronde de Bordeaux, Florea, and some Mt Etnas (e.g. Salem Dark).

14 Likes

Harvest a lot of perilla leaves, green ones, purple ones , and green on top and purple underside ones. Beside dried and freeze some, I fond receip online and made them into sauce that I can refrigerate the sauce. Does anyone know or had perilla pesto?

5 Likes

Here’s my first gallon of pickles for the season. I still have over two gallons from last year and they are still very good.

7 Likes

My haul today, my house smells incredible, but I’m giving these herbs away. I just keep the lettuce, cucumber, and my first Fuyu persimmon.

11 Likes

Now I have 5 double rows of okra producing pods… my clemson spineless finally started producing this week.

Picked enough okra today to feed 4 well… and oven blanched and froze / vaccume sealed 4 pints.

We had cherry tomatoes and 9 figs…

Blessed !!!

5 Likes

Gazpacho!

And preserved figs ( with yogurt)

6 Likes

Korean Giant Asian pear

16 Likes

Tony,
How could that be. Your KG ripened a whole month ahead of mine!! Usually I am about 2 weeks behind but 4 weeks….

Too hot this year in the 100s
and early Spring. Everything is ripen in my orchard

1 Like

Amazing! Mine are about a month away yet. Our summer is dry, but not hot like last year. I don’t think we had too many days over 100 at all.