What did you eat today - that you grew?

I’ve noticed several people on here that even though they are in a colder zone their fruit ripens before mine. My KG has at least another month and I’m a little south of you.

Larry Ann plum, very sweet and really good.

10 Likes

My haul today.

10 Likes

Last weekend we had a good storm blow through and split one of my tomato plants loaded with nice sized green tomatoes in half. We fried some up but then I poked around online and found out green tomatoes are used in curry in southern India so I tried my hand at that and it was quite tasty! I finished it with coconut milk and the sweet of that alongside the tart green tomato made for a nice combination.

1 Like

16 Likes

The highest brix fruit I grew so far

Flavor punch pluerry @ 30brix from last year’s graft

I didn’t measure brix on my Candy Hearts but I’d guess they are in the same range. I do agree with some reviews here that these are not complex fruits but at this brix they have a distinct caramel flavor. I like a mix of high acid and low acid fruits to enjoy. I slightly preferred Candy Heart than Flavor Punch but both are very good.

20 Likes

It looks very pretty!

1 Like

Redlove Odysso

14 Likes

I was going to ask the same question. My KG usually ripen in mid of Oct. This year is cooler in Chicagoland, I don’t have any asian pear ripen yet. Hosui, 20 century, Yoinash. Dripping honey… usually ripen earlier but are still not ripen yet.
Another strange thing this year is that my black berry bloom and fruit twice, one in spring time, one in summer. I am picking ripen black berry now.

1 Like

Luis, your redlove apple looks beautifully

1 Like

Thanks! And they are big! This was two apples that falled and didn’t ripen untill the end. They didn’t get sweet but i hope those that are on the tree turn sweeter. They are good to eat but not much sweet yet.

1 Like

Little bit of this, little bit of that. All these Jonafree apples have fallen on their own. My guess is the heat and lack of water. The seeds are dark and they taste good to me and the kids. Some Pears have been taken out of the fridge and are ripening on the counter. A few Hosui. The two persimmons blew off the tree last night, I’ll let them ripen for a few days. Not in the picture are figs and the last of the first batch of cantaloupe. A few more cantaloupe are a few days away.

9 Likes

This is the time of year when fig production peaks. This is today’s backyard harvest . . . . Most of these will go to the dehydrator, and we’ll be eating them for the next year or so.

17 Likes

Nice yields, Joe! Keeping the family well-fed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Watercress, it’s pretty hot here, in the 90s. So no serious cooking. Cress and egg sandwich for lunch.

8 Likes

Looks mighty fine! I know where a bunch of cress is…but it’s across the fence from my mom’s place. :frowning:

1 Like

Last night for dinner we had fried okra, cherry tomatoes… with some grilled ribeye steaks… and then 7 figs and a few raspberries for dessert.

Now when i pick okra… getting enough to feed 4… and put up a few pints too. Nice.

4 Likes

I had a bunch of Sungold cherry tomatoes getting ready to turn funky and some less than ideal tomatoes that I chopped up and cooked down to sauce. Time was a constraint and I didn’t even bother seeding or peeling, just took the immersion blender to it at the end and it turned out darn fine.

1 Like

I ate one large zucchini and a few GA-866 this morning. This is my haul in the afternoon, I ate the Flanders Figs and all of Long An, I think it’s the Kohala variety, pretty sweet. The blackberries are very good, but that’s for my husband.

9 Likes

Bartlett pear. Sweet, juicy , and creamy with nice European pear flavor

15 Likes