What did you eat today - that you grew?

im opposite of you all my white pakistan ripen well and my black pakistans mostly all dropped. ok good to know its not related our climate or the variety. perhaps the soil mix is the factor.

i have three others varieties that are flowering now as well. And i think a few that are flowering a little bit later in comparison to these early cultivars.

Great, that makes a lot more sense. Size looks looks in line with mine but such a deep red. Can’t wait. How is their texture when fully ripe. Hopefully not a mush ball. Hopefully more like a pluot

Soft, not crunchy. I don’t mind soft fruit. I didn’t think it was mushy.

1 Like

Anoka apples, Sunshine Blue blueberries and Pixwell gooseberries…not quite enough for a pie.

1 Like

Blackberry blueberry red and gold raspberry loganberry mac apples peaches and a few strawberries…

1 Like

This is from last week. Blind baked crusts, filled with pastry cream lightened with whipped cream, then yard grown berries on top. Mostly strawberries but a couple currants and a single Juliet cherry in the center. These were real tasty.

20 Likes

Holly, what is a blind baked crust? thanks, looks delish!

1 Like

Just a crust baked in a pan without filling. For fillings you put in afterwards like custards, creams, curds, etc. Mine always shrink a lot since I do an all butter crust - I’ve been working on how to get it to not do that but so far not a lot of success. Still tastes good though!

2 Likes

Kiowa and Ouachita blackberries are first this year… The Ouachita are a bit better tasting… Until Triple Crown and others get cranked up in a bit perhaps.

10 Likes

@wdingus — my ouachitaw started ripening 6/15 here… I am very pleased with them. Good flavor and sweet enough… with no thorns sure need bird protection.

I have been making jam from a combo of mac apple, peaches and blackberries the past few days. It is a very good jam combo.

Starts out like above…

Cooks down like this…

And in the jars…

Loading up the freezer with jam.

And here is a nice view down the line of my seedless Concord grapes. They make awesome jam too.

TNHunter

15 Likes

Argh, these are thorny, so therefore they are not Ouachita. I had mis-remembered the position on the trellis and just checked my notes, they’re Chickasaw. They are quite thorny… Eh who cares, they taste good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just like 60 days of non stop salads and 30 days of
Strawberries and peas and then my wife pulls this carrot out for salad today :joy:

14 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Carmine Jewel Cherries with vanilla ice cream.

15 Likes

More tomatoes! For breakfast!

Picked my one red currant bush last evening, plus some jostas. We ate some of them sitting around the kitchen counter. But they are so seedy and sour that it is tough to eat a lot out of hand. They look nice and make a good jam though. I froze most of these and will cook them to jam later after I build up whatever jostas and gooseberries we don’t eat fresh.

11 Likes

@RichardRoundTree — ginseng root often forms in human shapes… it is somewhat rare but occasionally with arms legs and well that (middle leg)… which makes them especially valuable as a collector’s item. Some eat them thinking they have special medicinal value.

They are often called man roots… empioror roots… an some have sold for big bucks.

I have a nice man root that I harvested in the wild… near 10 years ago. Mine has perfect positioned arms legs… but unfortunately no middle leg :slight_smile:

TNHunter

2 Likes

@HollyGates The best success I have had with blind baking is to line the crust with foil and then fill with white sugar. It’s cheap and seems to weigh things down better than pie weights or beans. Also, the toasted sugar is pretty tasty.

Hmm, maybe I’ll try that next time. I’ve used beans, rice, silicone pie weights, etc. But still get massive shrinking. Thanks for the tip.

First Gold Dust peach and Flavor Supreme pluot, both delicious!

13 Likes