What did you eat today - that you grew?

many people sell them at the farmers markets here also. they are very popular here. i used to pick my own every spring. my parents used to pack a lunch and we would spend the day picking them.

1 Like

What does the taste resemble?

1 Like

difficult to say. its its own taste. very rich for a green. its a taste unique to itself.

1 Like

Love ferns, so I wanted a couple of these just for the looks. I asked a couple times now and no one can really describe the taste. Must really be unique. Do the deer target them? I know here where I live the deer only eat things I’ve spent money on.

1 Like

Well, I brought home a new goumi bush that still had some fruit on it. So, I didn’t technically grow it, but I own it and ate it.

1 Like

ive never seen any browsed on but they must. hell, i eat them raw while picking them.

Yesterday evening i found a few heratige red raspberries ripe… and a few sweet scarlet goumi too… May 15… that is 5-10 days earlier than prev years.

2 Likes

Purple mustard greens, icicle radishes, and Black September black currants.
The currants mild and a bit ‘mealy’…
not as pungent as Titania,
and some others.

2 Likes

Finally my daughter picked some blackberries at the right time, she said they tasted very good.

9 Likes

@SoCalGardenNut … most… possibly all… blackberries… will turn black but still be shiney / glossy for a day or two… then when nice and ripe they lose that shine… and get dull. They are ready to pick then for max sweetness and flavor and will be a bit softer too.

3 Likes

Cascade gold, JoanJ and Snowchaser! All delicious!

12 Likes

Heritage red’s… and a few blacks.

12 Likes

More strawberries.

1 Like

They look like jewels, delicious jewels!

Cascade gold has a tropical flavor to it! Not to mention the large size and firmness!

o

13 Likes

Well, I didn’t take a picture, but had another Gold Rush apple from last year’s first crop. It is still hard, spicy, juicy and holding at 16 Brix. Kept in the 'fridge in a loosely tied plastic bag. Mighty fine.

3 Likes

tumblr_c26fd33fdd4e507d45ce8bf0627f77c2_f3c76cad_540

This was full to the brim yesterday…maybe 2 pints? We finished them up today and will pick more tomorrow

7 Likes

First blueberry…and first serviceberries yesterday…eaten straight from the bush/tree.

4 Likes

Today was berry picking day… good eats !!!

16 Likes

blackberries and nasturtium

10 Likes