What did you eat today - that you grew?

I’ve been nibbling my Sweet Alyssum for a few days now (my mom won’t let me harvest the whole thing for salads). The flowers are kinda like a really loose, mild broccoli with the barest hint of sweetness. As for the stem and the leaves, it starts off with a mild “greens” taste before developing a touch of nasal spiciness like you’d get from mustard. It’s pretty good! There’s some young dwarf hollyhock growing among the alyssum, and the leaves taste good as well, more tender than expected.

7 Likes

I didn’t know asylum can be eaten, they are like weed here.

5 Likes

I don’t know this plant is edible. I grow it in my yard. Also the hollyhock, never know it is edible too.

2 Likes

Mulberries - Mostly DMOR 9 and White Pakistan

14 Likes

My daughter picked some blueberries, they are very flavorful, much better than store bought,

14 Likes

First strawberry picked May 2…

Going to split it with my wife when she gets home. May be a small part of desert after dinner tonight.

13 Likes

That’s beautiful strawberry @TNHunter
We didn’t grow this but my husband and I shared this today.

8 Likes

2022 Veteran peaches :peach: in my unsweetened Greek yogurt. Very good.

3 Likes

Could not wait … she got her bite… this was left for me.

Mmmmm !!!

9 Likes

My daughter has been picking blueberries, she said they taste great. However she did pick some blackberries too early and they are sour. It’s great news to me, I’m turning this kid into a future fruit grower. Originally she didn’t even want to pick blackberries even, lol, now she will wait until they are deep color, not slightly pink.

9 Likes

Strawberries and herbes.

4 Likes

It’s time of the year that Fragrant Spring is un season.

Fiddlehead:

10 Likes

What do those fiddle heads taste like? I thought about putting in some just for the looks.

Snappy texture. I sauteed it with meat strips after boiled it and soaked it in water for few hours.

A website I was looking at said fiddle head taste similar to asparagus. Is that true?

Well, similar I guess. I don’t associate it with asparagus though

1 Like

I had them when I was living in New England, can’t get them here.

2 Likes

fiddleheads are up and being sold in all the stores right now @ $ 4 a lb. here. awesome sauteed with butter, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. i also brown a split kielbasa and place it on top of the sauteed fiddleheads the last 5 min. of cooking. delicious! fiddleheads have thier own taste. i say they are better than asparagus. they also blanch and freeze well. i preserve about 30lbs per spring. got a friend of mine that picks them and i trade for them.

5 Likes

i have a small patch under my big spruces but i dont think the soil is rich enough under there as they are small. the ones along the streams and rivers in flood plain will grow out to 4-5ft tall. the people that pick and sell to the big restaurants do very well. they are beautiful plants.

Never seen fresh fiddlehead in store here. I have a patch of ~40 Orstritch ferns on my northside of the house and growing. I pick couple of leafs from each plant. But most of time, I miss the best picking time window.

3 Likes