What flower did I plant?

These things happen

These seeds were from the botanic gardens and labeled bee balm :ghost: I’m the one who cannot label

3 Likes

It’s some kind of pea, I’d say. They grow wild in lots of places. I’m not aware of any problems associated with them.

4 Likes

No, not pea. I’m trying to rack my brain…

1 Like

It has no scent and the leaves do not look like any pea leaves i have ever seen.

Its very pretty and i definitely want to plant it the flower head is very symmetrical and interesting

1 Like

Well, “snapdragon” popped into my head, but you would expect them to be much more heavily flowered.

2 Likes

My first thought was a penstemon

Scott

1 Like

Looks like Linaria purpurea Linaria purpurea - Wikipedia.

4 Likes

I think that’s very likely. Good call.

2 Likes

Mystery Solved! Excellent work @CA_Poppy Now this looks like something i would plant. Why i labelled it bee balm i have zero clue as its clearly not bee balm. Its a butterfly and pollinator plant and poisonous to livestock i guess. Man its pretty this would have been the cultivar “canon went” plant the seeds came from

Thank you everyone!

2 Likes

Good research, but that’s not the match either.

1 Like

Not so fast…I don’t think that’s the correct ID.

1 Like

IMO it’s definitely a Linaria of some sort. It may be maroccana rather than purpurea, or it may be a different species entirely, or even a hybrid. I can’t really see enough detail in the photos to nail it down.

Linaria is very adapted to the area where I live. It’s a roadside weed that comes in every color of the rainbow.

1 Like

I am open, lots of penstemmons at the botanic gardens also (so was wondering if it could be that) and definitely I would have been going for something new and predator insect friendly. It could be a hybrid maybe it’s just collected seed?

1 Like

The color is similar to some of the penstemon species, but the flower structure is very different. All the penstemon I’m familiar with have flowers that are basically just a simple tube. This has a more complex flower structure, with a definite spur, that as someone else pointed out, resembles a snapdragon.

@RichardRoundTree, can you take it to the botanical garden and have them ID it for you? I think we would all be interested to find out.

3 Likes

Great idea! Pictures sent but no time to go in person im currently busy punishing my back and putting piles of crap the size of my truck in my driveway since i want more work when i get home!

Whats funny is im all gung ho to plant seeds and then when i go to plant it im like oh i should make sure this isn’t poisonous to my cat or dogs and then also making sure its not just a high intensive labor rabbit food for the front. I already screwed up and ordered some stargazer lilys forgetting they are toxic for my cat so going to dig them up and gift them to people next year and just cut off anthers this year. Its definitely a perrenial or a re seeding annual cuz i am a bit of a hater on planting annuals.

Funny enough i planted lots of toad things this year also toad lillys, no one seems to think they are a danger to cats but not good for them per se either. Anyone have any experience keeping these (trycirtis) indoors and if your animals had any interest in them?

1 Like

@RichardRoundTree Don’t feel bad. I had a “duh” moment myself when I planted a grape vine to grow up the side of my cat patio. Totally forgot all parts of the grape vine are toxic to cats. Fortunately, I came to my senses and moved it before it got very big.

1 Like

Yep, these things happen!

My cat has never had much interest in my grape vines but after reading about lillies it was saying that cats can die from the pollen getting in their fur and them cleaning themselves :hushed: :hushed:

I sometimes find it amazing that cats even survive with all the deadly stuff they can get into.

1 Like

Okay so got a response that this thing is some form of penstemmon like @Chills suggested. While I feel it looks like a penstemmon a bit I’m just not sure. That linnaria purpurea toad flax plant makes perfect sense especially since it handles my zone but now I’m back to feeling like @marknmt could this be a snapdragon as it’s a perfect snapdragon flower?

More questions than answers I’m gonna donate em a plant

This is the toad lily and stargazer lily

2 Likes

Your photos show a “ spur “ on the bottom of the flower.
This fits with the description of
That linnaria purpurea toad flax plant.
But ,penstemon and snap dragon lack that spur, as far as I can tell

1 Like