What fruits did you eat today?

Wow, Tony. That looks amazing. Did you go walleye fishing? We cannot buy this fish at the store around here.

@mamuang Thanks Tippy. I collect a lot of tea wares. I turned drinking tea and eating snacks into a hobby :smiley: My friends and I like to sample and talk about different teas while reading or playing chess. My parents said we remind them of their grandparents long time ago. I guess I’m an old soul.

I bought these dried persimmons at the Japanese market. I still have a couple dozen dried Hachiya from the fall. They developed a really nice sugar coating after I left them in refrigeration for a couple months.

5 Likes

We used to order tea from Upton Tea Imports. Now I am too sensitive to caffeine so less real tea these days.

2 Likes

The parks and recreation folks stocked several of Our Omaha lakes with Walleyes in the last 10 years or so. I caught 6 of these guys last year and freezed them in the air tight ziplocks. I am probably will head out to the lakes next weekend to see if the Crappies are biting.

5 Likes

I’m busting into some atemoya today. What a glorious and magnificent fruit! I much prefer these over cherimoya and soursop. They weren’t as good as the ones I had in Thailand but no need to buy a plane ticket. I needed something like this to cheer me up during these turbulent times.

7 Likes

You should grow out some seeds and make a bonsai trees out of them.

1 Like

I admit I still prefer custard apple (aka sugar apple) for its taste and especially the texture over atemoya, cherimoya and the like.

It could be because that’s what I have grown up with.

If you would like some seeds, I have plenty. Some are already sprouting roots inside the fruit.

@mamuang I do prefer sugar apple to atemoya, but that isn’t quite available in the States at this time. The texture is more to my preference. My aunt in Florida will mail me some from her trees in the late summer.

2 Likes

Couldyou please ask your aunt if she would adopt me. I might be only a couple of years older than her :joy:

1 Like

Had the first peaches of the year this weekend. Only one tree is ripening now. Seems to be a couple of weeks earlier this year. My youngest son had his first peach of the year today. Had to show him how to tell when the peaches were ripe.

1 Like

I’m sure she would be happy to share if you lived nearby. Her sugar apple trees keep multiplying via suckers that become new trees which also produce fruit in 2-3 years. She planted a Nam Doc Mai mango and longan trees to diversify her diet since she got tired of sugar apple.

3 Likes

First apricots of 2020 season. It’s earlier than usual. Winter was warm and Nicole bloomed early.

17 Likes

Big Jim Loquat and Meiwa Kumquat.

2 Likes

My first mulberry from my badly transplanted, still-in-shock, too-many-grafts-on-it Pakistan Mulberry tree. It tasted like a sugar cube. I thought I removed all the fruits, but this one hid behind some leaves.

The leaves are “cupping”, particularly on the sunny side and one graft dried. I do keep the soil moist and mist the leaves on hot afternoons. Not sure if I should try anything else. Hope it survives.

9 Likes

It looked healthy. Mulberry liked water due to those large leaves.

1 Like

I was hunting for some early stone fruits and I planted Sauzee Swirl peach (donut white peach) last winter. Ideally, I should have clipped all the fruits but I let one ripen to sample the flavor. It was ready at the exact time listed on DWN’s harvest chart, May 13. It was aromatic and very sweet with typical white peach flavor.

The Brix reached 15, which I couldn’t believe. Our April was fairly warm, but I did overwater the tree during the dry spell and the entire last week was in the low 70s with dark and cloudy weather.

I think this is a real winner for this harvest window and it also shows that we can ripen good quality stone fruit in May in coastal Bay Area. Now, I need to bother @Stan for some early ripening apricot scions :wink:

13 Likes

Wonder how Earlitreat would have done in comparison? Funny the DWN chart shows Sauzee Swirl as a yellow peach.

Good question. Yes, it’d be interesting to see how Earlitreat performs in late spring here. I think @RandallW has posted elsewhere his experience on Earlitreat and may also have Sauzee Swirl. Randall, how do they compare for you?

DWN’s chart does list Sauzee Swirl as yellow peach. It’s clearly a white peach - no tang!

1 Like

@Monardella, we enjoyed our Earlitreat peaches a few weeks ago, ate the first one on April 28th. They were between 13 an 15 brix, but the tree is still small, so the quality should get better in the years to come. Truthfully a 14 brix peach in april is hard to beat, we really liked them as did the birds. Besides my Royal Lynn cherries, these were the first fruits of the season, and almost forgot, Tasty Rich apriums were all eaten from late April thru early May and all were very good.

13 Likes

I don’t know where Fruitgrower hails from, but I am about 60 miles south of Californicus. Despite being further south than San Jpse, our weather is cooler due to the ocean breezes that waft through here in the afternoon. San Jose on the other hand, is hemmed in by mountains and the heat can build up. DWN lists approximate harvest dates near Modesto in the central valley.and temps over there can be over 100 while we are upper 70’s to low 80’s. We do get an occasional scorcher about Memorial Day.

Seems like Californicus has temps more in line with those at DWN. In my experience, our harvests run 10 to 14 days later. In any case, my early fruit is still rock hard but colored nicely. My mouth waters every time I look at them. Last year I lost the Earlitreat crop due to Brown rot. They look okay so far, and I sprayed Daconil after petal drop, but some rain is scheduled SUn, Mon, Tues. so we’ll see. I had no Brown Rot on any of my other fruit.

Last year I harvested Flordaking about June 10 and the sole Sauzee Swirl abut that same time. I love Flordaking, but the one Sauzee Swirl was fantastic. I wish I had a Brix meter.

This year there are 5 Sauzee Swirl on a still very small tree, and I want to thank you guys for the reminder, because I have been forgetting to get the bird netting up.

6 Likes

I’m in Livermore. How is the leaf curl on these early peaches?