What fruits did you eat today?

I ate the very last Satsuma from the 2015 fall crop off one of my Owari Satsuma trees, it was good, but had started to dry out a little, normally they are all gone by January. Up until a couple of weeks ago I still had hundreds on the tree thanks to this crazy warm winter in Louisiana, then they suddenly all started dropping off the tree. It is a really crazy year as the Satsuma trees here as they started limited blooming in January, now have scattered tennis ball and slightly smaller size green fruit and are also covered in fresh blooms. .

1 Like

@MuddyMess_8a and other loquat growers, just in case your loquats are coming in pretty tart, let them sit on the counter over night. They usually mellow out nicely the next day. Just thought Iā€™d pass that along. :thumbsup:

4 Likes

Yesterday, one of the area orchards finally reopened for the season. They had some apples on sale from their cold storage.

Here is locally-grown Fuji. My son is loving these:

And here is half a peck of Cripps Pink (Pink Lady). These are the best-keeping Pink Ladies Iā€™ve ever tasted. Perfect snappy texture and fantastic flavor!

8 Likes

Itā€™s hard to find really good apples but when I do I only wish iā€™d bought more!

Small banana, the last segment of a rather tasteless navel, a dollop of Smuckerā€™s Simply Fruit black raspberry spread and almond butter in a sandwich, 6 dates, raspberry/apple blend juice.

Juneberries galore on the street trees planted around here. I pop a handful in my mouth every time I pass by one. I like them best when they are purplish red.

To me, tastes like seedy blueberry meets apple pie.

8 Likes

Wellington Mulberries and Tayberries. Brady

6 Likes

Blenheim Apricot is ripening nicely. This year (3rd leaf), the taste is definitely better than last!

13 Likes

Nice

You do realize that combining pics of a juicy apricot along with one of awaiting bounty hanging so temptingly from a tree drives some of us crazy with desire, donā€™t you?

7 Likes

Strawberries for breakfast

1 Like

Strawbs, blueberries, peaches and raspberries. Itā€™s absolutely bonkers right now.

2 Likes

Robada apricot from a very open tree, lots of sun, they are almost completely blushed red, really good. They are acidy if picked early but let them get soft on the tree and they get nice and sweet, good flavor.

1 Like

I ate my first 2 peaches of the year along with some hand-whipped sweetened cream and a little sugar. Mmmm. Also had a few sweet cherries, a few sour cherries, and a hand full of raspberries, all from my own little orchard. Also had strawberries from a u-pick that is 100 yards from the front door of my house across the road (how nice is that, and he wonā€™t let me pay since we trade favors).

Also planted 175 hills of watermelons so Iā€™ll be eating those in late summer!

2 Likes

I donā€™t care how much you like watermelon; No one can eat 175 hills worth by himself. What are your plans for those?[quote=ā€œMrClint, post:32, topic:5021ā€]
Strawbs, blueberries, peaches and raspberries.
[/quote]

Ditto that, except replace the peaches with plum. It was the last of the 3 plums that tree matured. In addition, I had mango, pineapple, and a couple figs.

2 Likes

Squirrels stripped most of my Blenheim (2nd leaf). I got about a 1/4 of them, they were good but my Goldkist were way better. The Goldkist is a few years older though.

Do you have squirrels raiding your trees? Unfortunately my neighbors avocado tree is shelter for them, I can see at least two of their nests in there.

Good question, @MuddyMess_8a . I plant that many or more every year, and Iā€™m not done this year! Its purely for fun and I donā€™t sell a single melon. I give them to absolutely everyone I know. Sometimes I even lay some right out beside the road for strangers to take and put a little sign saying ā€œfreeā€ā€¦ The sad thing about doing that is there have been several times when one person stops and takes 15-20 watermelons. It really hurts when people do that because obviously it isnā€™t my intention - I just want everyone to get a free watermelon or two, not for one person to take them all and go sell them or whatever they do with 20 watermelons.

Lastly, I give a large number to the local Senior Citizen Center. Iā€™m on the board there and have come to love those seniors and they appreciate a free watermelon more than anyone else I give them to. So I take dozens down there and leave them for all the seniors to take home.

I also loose several to coyotes every year! I never would have believed a coyote would eat a watermelon but they love them. They also have an amazing ability to know just when they are ripe enough to eat. They scratch and bit their way into them and almost completely hollow them out. Its amazing. They also like my sweet corn!

Anyway, watermelons are my favorite thing I grow in my garden. The one thing I havenā€™t mentioned is how many I actually eat myselfā€¦it is completely wasteful and wrong in some ways, but I love to go to the patch in the morning with a knife and just cut a watermelon open while its still cool from the night and just eat the heart out of it (the seedless, sweetest part in the center). Man I love that!

6 Likes

Squirrels discovered my tree just now. I have my trap out. Stop by anytime, I have tons. My family is already bored of me stuffing them down their throats. :smile:

I can get some Blenheims this week to your house. They taste better in their 3rd leaf. You can compare with Goldkist!

Unfortunately nothing home grown but did manage to find some tasty market apricot, Nectarine, Banana, and some sweet cherries (that were unfortunately in a pie with vanilla ice cream)