What fruits did you eat today?

I had a cotton candy aprium that was almost ripe, it was ahead of the rest so I tried it. Tastes like a sweet apricot. I liked it, however they are on the small side, but still a keeper for me.

today I have eaten a lot of these tasty peaches and watermelons.
Iā€™m on a diet to lose weight and can only eat peaches in the morning (they have a lot of sugar), the rest of the day as watermelon that has plenty of water.

this is one of my young plants watermelons

2 Likes

I ate my first Pacific Rose apple today. It was very reminiscent of Fuji to me. Apple was huge in size. The flavor was very sweet but not a lot of depth. I was craving a bit of acid. I did like the texture. It was crisp and juicy. Just too one dimensional for me.

Saw those at the store

Iā€™m a fan, but not at that size - theyā€™ll ruin the variety going for oversize

Santa Rosa plum. What a pretty fruit. Each one has gotten better and better.

1 Like

A perfectly ripened santa rosa is one of my favorites

1 Like

Nice fruit! I know you are in zone 9a, so Iā€™m curious what kind of peach you grow down there?

It is not an overly good peach, is very sweet, but its flesh is very soft and I do not like, is a Springcrest

1 Like

Thanks, Matrix. I was guessing Florida King or some other low-chill hour peach. Iā€™m not familiar with Springcrest and your comments donā€™t sound really goodā€¦though any peach that fruits in your location is a somewhat good tree IMHO. :slight_smile: Happy fruiting.

I have been trying to find a scion source of the Springcrest peach. The literature identifies this as a great old American variety that was the widely-planted ā€œRedhavenā€ of its day. But few Americans seem to know anything about it anymore. On rare occasion, it is made available by Duarte and Burchell nurseries, but at outrageous prices.

Strangely enough, the peach appears to remain popular in many parts of Europe as well as with the Australia/ New Zealand crowd. Not sure how it got over there, or why it has lost favor over here.

A local farmer here in Maryland has it (I have a meeting with him next week and will try to obtain it from him then). His farm grows excellent Springcrest peaches- the best early-season peach Iā€™ve ever eaten (though I suspect Rich May a.k.a. Flavorich is probably earlier and even better-- I just havenā€™t had the opportunity to eat Rich May yet).

I wish I could offer to trade with you, but I donā€™t believe we can legally trade scionwood between Spain and the U.S without special government certification or approval.

I should amend my comments:

Springcrest is not the best early-season peach Iā€™ve ever eaten.

But it is the earliest good peach Iā€™ve ever eaten. Two years ago, I ate a batch of Springcrest peaches during the first week of July. They were sweet, tangy, and delicious, and had fairly good texture for being soooo early. I was really impressed.

Weā€™ve been woofing down plums and blueberries. Yumbo!

What do folks mean by 2nd or third leaf on Peach trees?

Second leaf would be the second year you had it in the ground. It doesnā€™t correlate to the trees age because most trees are already 1-3 years old by the time you get them from the nursery.

I planted several trees in spring 2015. This year I call them second leaf trees because they leafed out in 2015 and 2016.

all information of Springcrest you say is correct.

it is a peach with a great taste a great relationship between acid and sugar.
the only problem you have is that is semi soft flesh and gets very soft peach on the tree in a few days, a maximum of two weeks I have to grab all these peaches to mature tree or excess

Matrix,

I agree. There is a short window when the peach texture is good and then they can get mushy.

I bought 3 pounds of Honey Lite nectarines today along with 3 pounds of plumcots called Eagle Egg. I ate 3 of the plumcots. The first was dynamite. The other 2 were bland and watery. They were dark red flesh and red skin. The Honey Lite was a little overly ripe and the taste was insanely sweet. Too sweet for me in fact. Hopefully the remaining fruit arenā€™t as ripe. It measured 19 brix.

I harvested 5 lbs today from my Blenheim Apricot tree. Iā€™ve eaten (and force fed my family :smile: ) almost 10 lbs so far. Iā€™d estimate there 10-15 lbs left on the tree. Not bad at all for a 2.5 year old tree!

15 Likes

Those look great Vin. Nice haul.

1 Like

very nice looking apricotļ¼Œmake me drooling

1 Like