What fruits did you eat today?

Mine have been between 13 and 15, when they start getting to 15 they do improve substantially and seem to counteract the tart skin and poor flavor profile.

3 Likes

Phil,
Before this one, they were never real sweet. I waited until some fell off. Still, only mildly sweet. Even this year, the only that picked earlier were bland.

If I had it consistently at 15 brix, Iā€™d be happy. Also, prior to this year, my Shiro were round fruit. This year, many have pointed end. Rather odd.

6 Likes

Ronde de bordeaux fig, I havenā€™t tried at lot of figs so far, but this was delicious! Canā€™t wait for more of ours to start producing. I ate a couple more of these that were about a day or two riper and they were even better!

7 Likes

How is Hesse when underripe? You said you want to throw them in the garbage when underripe. Are they just sour? I am trying to decide whether to get this variety because I LOVE the colors. I eat lemons with a spoon so when Hesse is underripe is it the flavor, texture, or tartness thatā€™s the problem?

1 Like

Shared 4 tree ripened nectarines, several Puget Gold apricots, a bowl of cherries, a Satsuma orange, as well as some mango, Gala apple and banana with my morning oatmeal.

2 Likes

Kosui asian pear. Seems early, but it was 15 brix and juicy. Picked a small box of Veteran peaches, which also seems a bit early but Iā€™m probably going to can most of them. About a third were well ripened and tasty. (editā€“> I just checked and last year I picked Kosui on Aug 23 and brix was 17. I should have waited, but it was still very good. I had exactly one last year and one this year on a multi grafted tree. Next up should be Chojuros. Iā€™ll try to hold out two more weeks at least)

22 Likes

All beautiful! Bet they taste soooo good!

3 Likes

The peaches are a beautiful and striking contrast on the tree.

3 Likes

Very bitterā€¦I compost them. They are bird magnets because they color so long before ripening. I think all the rain this year really messed with their flavorā€¦

1 Like

No bird issues? Beautiful bright fruits.

1 Like

The Mirabelle plums are ripe. Now is the time for a delicious French tart!

15 Likes

Bravo!!! Was it delish? Looks great!!

1 Like

I canā€™t wait until my young fruit trees become as productive & beautiful as yours. With our very long, freezing winter extending into a cold, wet, nasty spring (didnā€™t have much decent whether till the second week of June), a lot of the fruit trees were not as productive this year, so seeing pics of a nice, fruitful tree like yours gives us something to look forward to. Good job.

Anthony

1 Like

I am not much of a baker but with my wifeā€™s help and a French recipe, the pastry turned out fabulous. I cant say enough about how good these little plums are, both fresh and cooked!

3 Likes

Yay!!! another Mirabelle fan!

2 Likes

Abi (Abigail) looking over her cooked cobbler. This was a first for us to have a muscadine cobbler. Abi picked and seeded the grapes, then she did most of the cooking.

It was great tasting and we almost consumed it all. She wanted to take home some for her daddy.

9 Likes

I put up bird scare ribbon 5 days before ripening, then took it down right before I picked them. I had a few get pecked before I put the ribbon up. Iā€™ve tried ribbon for cherries and berries before, but it didnā€™t work (earlier in the summer?)

Cantaloupe, watermelon, mango pudding, taro dessert, strawberries, as well as homegrown nectarines, peach, apricots, blueberries, blackberries, a couple late raspberries and Sun Sugars.

My lone Frost peach on this tree was absolutely delicious.

Between wandering around my urban orchard, a big meal after church service and our neighbours 18rh birthday party a lot of fruit was consumed today.

Anthony

8 Likes

I ate my first and only Waneta plum yesterday. It was sweet with some tartness and somewhat soft ~17 brix, possibly past prime but pretty happy with it. I look forward to having many other hybrids to compare it with in a couple years. Ate my 2 Chestnut apples in the last week or so - sweet, tart and very crisp (17-18 brix). Small in size but big on flavor. Also been eating a few Ambrosia and Bartlett pears (a bit early this year). Delicious! Iā€™ll get to try some Honeysweet, Luscious, Harrow Sweet and 20th Century pears from the Frankenpear soon! Still holding out for handful of Contender peaches, Rubinette and (lots of) Goldrush apples and a single Korean pear.
Some challenging weather this year, but I at least got to sample lots of new stuff.

Cheers,
Kirk

4 Likes

My first vdb fig. Very sweet good flavor. I donā€™t have very much experience with figs, so not much to compare it to but I canā€™t wait for the next one to ripen

3 Likes