What fruits did you eat today?

I’ts hard to say for sure but I think there is a good chance that they will have at least one or two fruit trees. Some of them enjoy the trees more than the others. We kept two of the girls last night and first thing the youngest one told me this morning was to come on and lets go out and pick some fruit. We filled up a small bowl with muscadines.

2 Likes

How good is that?

1 Like

Well that was an absolute waste of money. I decided to cut it open and it was hard inside. Very similar texture to a Chestnut. It had a very faint smell of apple but not much else. Straight to the garbage.

2 Likes

They harvested too early and the Cherimoya won’t rippened right. I usually pick the one already soft from the store.

1 Like

That’s the exact same experience I’ve had with every Cherimoya I’ve tried buying. The experiences with the soursop weren’t this bad, but they were still a disappointment. The fruit’s not that good here.

I hope you get a chance to try this stuff on vacation or something.

As far as what I’ve eaten today, the local orchard’s store put out the first Crimson Crisp apples. Very dense, I can see how it’s a good keeper. Flavor’s good, it has a syrupy brown sugar sort of aroma to it. It’s actually pretty close to the balance between sugar and acid that I get from this orchard’s Honeycrisps, with the Crimson Crisp probably being the more acidic of the two. Either apple is excellent, the Honeycrisp being more of a fresh eating apple for the texture.

It was picked too early and did not ripen properly.

I like rollinia the best, much better than cherimoya.

Never eaten or even heard of it. I use the term sugar apple and custard apple interchageable.

Soursop is green and rollinia is yellow.

7 Likes

I did looked up its pic in the Internet. Thanks for your pic,

Does Rollinia taste similar to Cherimoya? Cherimoya is real sweet when it fully rippened but too many seeds just like custard apple.

Rollinia has many flavors in one fruit including a Cherimoya type flavor, some other flavors, plus a more acidic almost citrus-like flavor. It also has a lot of seeds. Rollinia is a lot better than Cherimoyas.

1 Like

Ate three rather small Goldrush apples today. All three had a little minor damage but it was only skin deep. When this apple is at it’s best it is hard to beat. These three didn’t disappoint me.

1 Like

Found these at Wally world. Never heard of Sierra Honey but after eating these excellent plums I’m assuming they are rebadged Emerald Beaut. Very sweet and crisp texture of a pluot.

1 Like

Sugar Cane Jujube, sweet and crunchy. Can’t stop eating until they were gone.

6 Likes

I got a bag of SweeTango apples today at Aldi of all places. It’s a pretty good apple, seems higher in sugar but has some good acid to balance it out. The bag had some the usual green/yellow apples that you find in Aldi bags but even they are tasty. More tart than the fully ripe ones, so better for me. This doesn’t have the explosiveness of a Honeycrisp, but then I’m getting good Honeycrisps and these are supermarket SweeTangos. 10 years til they’re off-patent…

Still getting Rio Oso Gem peaches, very good quality and size, medium to light fuzz. This one was 14.5 brix and about 3 inch diameter.

12 Likes

I picked up some nice kyoho grapes, and early season persimmons near where I work. They were half gone before I even thought of taking a picture. The grapes were flavorful as always and remind me of a Japanese candy called Hi-chew.

The persimmons are probably not “fuyu” or “chocolate” from past snacking experiences and pictures. I guess anything non-astringent is a fuyu these days. They look like some sort of PVNA variety. All were pollinated, containing 1 to 8 seeds each. They were starting to soften a little and the texture was wonderfully melting, yet still somewhat firm. The little black spots gave the pulp a sensation like there were grains of sugar in it which I didn’t mind. I will be saving the seeds to plant just for fun. Does anyone know if persimmon seeds have to be kept moist or can I dry them?

9 Likes

Does the cracking on your sugar cane jujube happen often? Is this because of too much rain in your climate?

Every single day I’m getting about 3 saijo persimmons off my 5 year tree. It is literally the highlight of my day. I come home from work, go straight to my tree, pick the ones that have ripened in the last 24 hours, and rush inside to eat them! ha. They are just incredible. Also fun to have fruit coming in so late in the year. This tree had about 50 fruits on it and still has about 30.

BTW…I had to net my tree due to bird damage. yesterday i found a small bird that had gotten caught in the net and ended up dying (it was around his neck). That was never my intention and 95% of me is saddened by it, but I must confess 5% of me thinks he got what he deserved! ha. (no, i know he was just following nature and trying to fill his belly)

4 Likes