What fruits did you eat today?

My very first pawpaw off my own tree! Sunflower variety; I liked it better than the wild one’s I’ve collected.

There’s only one this year, but that just means more are coming next year!

15 Likes

Today’s haul of early Fuji (Beni Shogun). Unfortunately this year hasn’t been the best in terms of quality of this variety and it has somewhat watery taste. I am curious if it’s going to be the same case with later Fuji Kiku.42851926_169798230605164_4668685049103646720_n
We are also eating some Opals, Kanzi and Jazz that were harvested about a week ago. The last two are truly exceptional this year.

11 Likes

Congratulations! Not sure where in PA you are, but I just got my first PawPaw in Ohio the other day as well. It also is a Sunflower. I wasn’t sure if it was ready, but it tasted very good. It was a little lighter than yours inside. I was pleased that it had no bitter aftertaste at all. Maybe that comes when they are a little over ripe. I have one more waiting on the counter. It is brown on top but still green underneath. It basically came off the tree when I touched it.

8 Likes

I had a Melrose apple drop yesterday. 15 brix and pretty good but last year at this time I had one that was 19 brix. Still got about 10 more hanging on, last year I had 3 total.

9 Likes

Paul,
Now that I am envious that you are in Europe and can grow Opal.

Yeah Opal is good, on the other hand US has some great varieties (pluots etc.) not available in EU. Or New Zealand has early ripening feijoas I wish they were selling over here…
The grass is always greener on the other side of fence :wink:

3 Likes

Some Pennsylvania grown citrus! I originally bought this kishu mandarin just as an ornamental, and didn’t expect much of anything edible from it. It set a lot of fruit this summer for such a small plant, and they’re delicious albeit small.

8 Likes

Not a fruit but at the pumpkins patch and eating fresh made kettle corn. Yum.

Tony

2 Likes

The last of my PAFs. We ate about a dozen and these were the two largest. Definitely one of my favorite fruits.

20 Likes

I cant tell if the berry is meant for a dinosaur of your kid has really small hands. We need a banana for reference.

2 Likes

Haha. I should’ve mentioned he’s 3 years old. But age aside, those PAFs grow huge.

2 Likes

My sister brought me a big bag of golden supreme apples that she picked at an orchard festival. My first time tastimg these. They are a decent apple. Not my favorite texture but pleasantly flavored. Very nice healthy looking apples. I intend to make some apple crisp.

I have a Golden Supreme apple tree I planted in 2013. It produced a large number of beautiful apples for the first this year. They were almost all larger sized apples. Great mild sweet flavor. Nicer looking than Golden Delicious. Similar in texture to a GD.
What texture do you like?

I prefer a firmer crisper apple for fresh eating. The texture of golden supreme was a bit soft for my tastes. I make an apple crisp out of some of them it was was delicious. To me it’s more of a baker than a desert apple.

How do you rate this apple, for me it is theeee best.

Looks great. Our state apple for a reason. One orchard close by me has 200 trees just in Melrose apples.

I found these at the local Kroger, they call them apriums. These are from the same CA farm I got the Dapple Dandy from last year. As you can see, very dark red flesh, with a dappled dark red skin.

They tasted very plummy, hardly any apricot flavor, and were somewhat sweet. Pretty good, but not as good as the DD were.

Anyone have a guess as to what variety they are?They had “aprium” on the label, but rang up as “black pluot”.

I saved the pit, and was wondering how close to the original fruit it would grow if it was planted and happened to sprout and grow into a tree? Not really going to do it, but was curious.

3 Likes

That does not look like an aprium to me. Apriums have skin that are closer to apricots and are slight dull and fuzzy looking. That looks much more like a pluot that an aprium.

I’ve had Black Velvet Apriums that are delicious. But as mentioned above they have skins more closely related to apricots.

1 Like

Here’s some pics of the other one. When I started cutting and squeezing on it, it caused the original skin color to darken.

It almost looks like a Dapple Dandy to me.

2 Likes

The store here had apriums and pluots last week, so I bought a few of each, as @speedster1 mentioned the aprium was very slightly but noticeably fuzzy.