What is everyone eating from their orchard today?

This is my first time adding a picture so I hope I do this right, I’m quite the luddite.

Proud to show the first of my peaches, along with some berries. The white stuff on the peaches is Surround. I ended up with about 50 of these so far and there are another 30 or so on the tree. After a few years of failure, Scott’s organic program worked incredibly well.

I don’t know what kind of peaches they are, but they are delicious. I bought the tree for $1 from Home Depot years ago. If anyone has any guesses to the variety, please let me know.

6 Likes

Coralstar one of my favorites. Size of a softball.

12 Likes

Of my 49 fruit trees, I’ve only been able to harvest 2 Independence nectarines from my greenhouse tree. I should be able to eat some Puget Gold Apricots in another week or two, then some outdoors Independence nectarines and eventually Frost peaches and HardiRed nectarines. Today though we harvested our first batch of Triple Crown thornless blackberries, which ripened several days sooner than expected.

Here are some of the stone fruit I’m impatiently waiting to ripen.

4 Likes

These are what my kids and I did harvest today…

Then I harvested more for our upstairs neighbours…

Anthony

9 Likes

How does Laxton’s Giant compare in size and flavor to Titania?

I got rid of Laxton’s Giant several years ago, before I ever got Titania. So, I can’t give a direct comparison, but LG was a very sparse producer for me, with above average sized fruit. Flavor was too strong for fresh eating.

While my Titania is still young, it seems to be a fast growing, strong producing bush with decent berry size.

For more on Black currants:

strawberries coming in more and more each day. picked this today (early glow and mara de bois).

10 Likes

Ate two medium Kieffer pears today. These two bloomed late and escaped the cold weather. They also ripened late. They were crunchy and sweet with very little grit.

Russian mulberries

4 Likes

Dirt and sweat. Not even finished grafting!

3 Likes

I actually got to try a pretty ripe strawberry from the backyard patch. It was an Earliglow and very tasty, and sweet enough.

I picked a few more this morning, but they weren’t as sweet. So we should have a really good crop in a couple weeks. It’s nice that we didn’t get a late freeze, so we’re rewarded with an early crop.

2 Likes

I had one strawberry, but it was still in its little pot from the hardware store, lol.

Actually I have some forming well on those and they’re in the ground now. That variety is Surecrop, a June bearer according to the tag.

(My little hardware store sold 4-packs of veggies, herbs and 2-pack strawberries at a mixed flat for $15! I love little local stores.)

Just picked these in the greenhouse for desert at my last meal for the day.

Obsidian blackberry, Royal Rainier cherry, Tasty Rich aprium, and Flavorella Plumcot.

19 Likes

Would you let us know how good the cherries are?

1 Like

They’re pretty good. The one I measured was 24 brix and still had a lot of acid. This is the first ones I’ve tried that I thought were ripe. The other two stone fruits have been 20-23 brix. I like Tasty Rich better than Flavorella. TR has a better flavor.

2 Likes

Thanks. I wish I was there. I hope to have a bowl full of my own rainiers this year. Hopefully I can let them get super dark on the tree.

1 Like

A bowl of Earliglows from the garden with a tbsp of orange liquor. #BestDessertEver !!! :upside_down_face:

13 Likes

Just adding my two cents to what Bob said…I’m sure just about any black currant would make excellent jam…and therefore if production and other considerations rather than taste straight off the bush is the deciding factor, I would also consider Crandall (Clove currant/ Buffalo Currant). the currant sawflies seem uninterested in the leaves while they went after my black currants and gooseberries right next to them . They hardly taste at all like a black currant off the bush, until they are made into jam and the distinct ‘black currant’ flavour comes right out…and they are larger (berries)and quite productive. The plant is vigorous. The little flower remnant at the end of the berry, unless you want to individually remove them( as they don’t separate easily),will necessarily be part of the jam (extra fibre) and is not noticeable in the jam, besides, the skins are thicker and add a nice chewiness, if you like that kind of thing. Until I made jam from these, I wasn’t sure of the value of growing them, but now they seem a more trouble free alternative. The large berries are single rather than in clusters which cuts down on rot from moisture…and they are not hiding under a canopy of leaves when you go to pick them…the thing I dislike most about black currants, ironically, is the harvesting !

1 Like

I made black consort jam for the first time this year and do not consider it edible. Yuck! Neither of us like it.

if you are looking for more complex flavors DK will only give you honey. so you will find BJ better flavor for this reason.

1 Like