What is [still] producing in your fall garden?

I picked the rest of the lettuce and maybe half the remaining spinach

All that’s left are a couple of bok choi, immature cabbages, and the cauliflower that will never find enough time to finish heading, along with one last broccoli.

2 Likes

I have 15 cardoons buried under leaves (in a trench, I always trench the weediest beds, so I get two jobs done), maybe 40 collards standing, some carrots here and there, the rest is picked. I picked 20 celery for freezing a week ago, a garbage bag of cabbages, and a garbage bag of chicory and mustard greens (fridge pretty full now). I will make a hoop house for the collards Thursday. This has been a pretty mild Fall, though, it’s not like the hoop houses are urgently needed.

3 Likes

The g-kids came over Monday to help me harvest the yacon. (As of July I have 8 g-kids.)
IMG_1761-1
IMG_1763-1
Totaled about 38# .tubers.
I harvested the curry leaf tops today and will extract the principle with olive oil. This adds a delicious flavor to lots of foods.56277452018__0BAB53A3-A4A2-4763-8298-EE09DA1EE636
In a couple weeks I’ll put the ‘big bag’ (poly) on the hoop house and cover another bed with poly. Inside I have growing cabbage, cauli, cilantro, celeriac, celery, spinach, green onions, carrots, several varieties of lettuces. The latter needs additional row cover as we get below about 25 deg F.

12 Likes

Love it. Kids always look happy working in a garden.

1 Like

Love seeing the smiles on the kids face. I have five grands and love having them over to spend the day.

1 Like

tell us more Ann. which zone are you in? is it best to grow yacon in a pot? where did you get the curry plant?

2 Likes

If you click on my (or anyone’s) picture, the zone and other info is often (or should be :blush:) given. So I’m in zone 7B-8.

We have ground rodents so root veggies are best grown in pots or in protected beds. By ‘protected’ I mean I dug a narrow trench about 8-10" deep all around the bed and sunk some 1/2" hardware cloth. Some things they don’t bother but something delicious like yacon, potatoes or sweet potatoes are vulnerable.

I got a small sorely damaged curry leaf plant in the mail several years ago from eBay, I think, which I nursed to health and propagated. Some plants I leave in pots and some I xplant into the garden every spring. The latter do best in terms of growth. This time of year I prune the plants back to about 6-8" tall and harvest the leaves by striping them from the branches and putting them in a large pot to process. I leave some branches on to harvest fresh and cook with over the winter but the oil is more versatile. In a few weeks I’ll dig up and pot up the in-ground plants to bring in. When we get into the 20’s they expire. :blush:

1 Like

Brussels sprouts, chili peppers, japanese eggplant, and a pomegranate :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Those Brussels sprouts are beautiful.

1 Like

Poms, lemons, Mexican limes, tomatoes. And of course some herbs.

3 Likes

Sure wish my citrus would ripen

1 Like

Tomatoes, most herbs, golden raspberries! The Kiwi Gold are so sweet!

1 Like

Being in California (where it is still in the 80’s) makes citrus a year round harvest. I admire you for growing citrus in IL.

1 Like

Well, they were gifts. They do reasonably well, considering. Which is to say, they bear fruit

1 Like

Jelly. My fall peas succumbed to the wet heat of September (both much hotter than normal and 10” of rain).

My shell peas mostly failed, but the snap peas went gangbusters

1 Like

Still getting butternut squash and the passion fruit went through another round of flowering, so I should get some ripe fruit in a few weeks.

Over the last couple of months I’ve trimmed back my monster cherry tomato plant, it made it through this last winter and continued to produce like gangbusters. However bugs and disease caught up to it and it’s now all gone. However, as I was chopping up the vines there were some overly ripe fruit and not all of them made it into the greenery recycle bin. This popped up a few weeks ago and my gardener was gracious enough to mow around it.

My VdB is a little confused and two branches have started to put out more main crop figs - the wood is still green. You can also see the rust on the leaves, I always have a problem with it about this time of year as the coastal fogs start to kick in again in the evenings.

3 Likes

That’s pretty sweet. Occasionally we’ll get a pepper plant or two through a winter and start producing again, but tomatoes are too frost sensitive.

I still have Eggplant producing, Carrots, Radishes, Green Peppers profusely and Sorghum, Just brought in my Last Watermelon…Horesradish has become a Large Bush!

2 Likes

what do you do with Sorghum?