What is your favorite tasting fruit

I was wondering what everyone’s favorite fruit was now, mine is sour cherry🍒

6 Likes

Meiwa kumquat and New Zealand lemonade

2 Likes

Nice :+1:

1 Like

grown here for fresh honeyberry / sour cherry. grown away peach and sweet cherries. processed from everywhere black currant preserves. never can have enough of them. that may change when i get enough cherries to process.

4 Likes

Honey series nectarines, Bing sweet cherries, Orangered apricots, Flavor Supreme pluots, and Summer Muscat grapes. All very difficult to grow to perfection. It took me 40 years of trying, a warm very sunny climate, and a greenhouse to learn how to grow them right. So there won’t be many people with the same answer.

This winter I plan to plant mangos in the same greenhouse and run it warmer in the winter to see how they compare to those listed above.

12 Likes

Sapodilla. Tastes like caramel, I can’t wait for my tree to start bearing.

At least equal (and dubiously second choice) is the Purple Mangosteen, but it’s such a finicky and sun-sensitive tree that I’ve killed every one I tried to grow through excessive sun exposure.

7 Likes

A well-ripened mango is hard to beat, almost any cultivar, but I can’t grow those here, and even the ones from “ethnic” markets with the best mangoes don’t even come close to what your average Miami tree produces each year. I do have an ataulfo seedling in my greenhouse, but that’s more for novelty than any real hope of good fruit.

As far as things that can be grown here (SWD notwithstanding), there are many types of sweet cherry that are near the top of my list.

The flavor of those is wonderful, but the texture and sticky latex sap detract a bit for me.

9 Likes

Aprium

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, I’ve only tasted them from a single tree (and that’s the seed I planted). Harvested green and hard, ripened in a ziplock bag on the table, there was no latex, the skin was as tender as pear skin (though of softer texture), and they were dense yet juicy, not grainy.

3 Likes

How does Aprium compare to the other stone fruit?

2 Likes

That’s a big number of years

I vote for green gage plums! Absolutely the best I have

7 Likes

The latex issue is mostly during harvesting, they get you all sticky, not as much when eating. The texture can vary a bit, but usually I’ve found them to be pretty grainy. Sounds like you have a winner if yours isn’t!

3 Likes

That sounds good

Passion fruit but hoping that changes since I can only grow maypops in z6

3 Likes

I wish I could grow sweet cherries and oranges. Apples and pears are great.

2 Likes

People seem to like sweet cherry over sour, but something about the taste of sour cherries makes them special to me

4 Likes

Hard to beat a perfectly ripe fig… we get these for 3+ months and it is a treat every time.

9 Likes

durian, but you can’t get it here except tiny frozen bits.

a good ripe fig is a close second. then maybe granny smiths or other sour apple. I like bosc pear, and black raspberries, and mulberries too.

not a fan of kiwi or papaya or mango or grocery-store banana. I like the little extra sweet red bananas though

5 Likes

Mango1, peach2, plum3, persimmon 4, Muscat/Cotton Candy grapes 5, after these 5 a slew of 400 others.
What about Jackfruit?

4 Likes