What is your favorite tasting fruit

Cannot wait to see the mangoes!

3 Likes

Juicy sweet-tart apricots and sour cherries and black currants, and mirabelles.

4 Likes

@DennisD are your green gage plums the same one propagated by bringer nursery in washington state?

#1 would be my favorite durian varieties. I luv other fruits like plumcots, caimito, sapodilla and a few others but it is only my fave durian varieties that can give me partial blackouts when eating them. The whole world just seems to disappear…does not happen with my other “lower faves”.

6 Likes

Specifically ‘Haden’… I’ve also had notable mangoes that were wild volunteers
Yum

2 Likes

I like peaches, and cotton candy grapes too

2 Likes

Aprium - like an apricot but juicier with more tangy flavor

3 Likes

I was wondering what exactly it tasted like, I think I need to try one

1 Like

I should say after sour cherries goes blackberries, then something like good grapefruit, then peaches the list goes on and then suddenly drops to fruits I don’t like

1 Like

Concord grapes, even though they’re inconvenient.

3 Likes

Durian is easily my favorite fruit. Like you said, it’s a full-body experience, totally transcendental :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Hard to beat a perfectly ripe cold watermelon on a warm summer day.

A juicy sweet with a twang ripe peach that sends juices all down your face.

A fistful of blackberries that makes your mouth pucker at first then the wallop of sweetness fills the void.

A slightly acidic yet sweet ripe tomato slice about 1 inch thick on a BLT.

Double handfuls of fall raspberries.

7 Likes

Lots of fruits taste similar to Sweet Cherrys but almost no other fruits taste anything like sweet cherries. Cherry of the Rio Grand is the only one I understand has the sweet cherry flavor and even then it can have some resinous undertones.

Cherry hybrid are hard and when they are successful the sweet cherry flavor is almost entirely lost. Not to mention White Sweet cherry’s is yet even more diiffrent and delicious.

1 Like

Mine are volunteers, they were here when I bought the property so I do not know the variety. Here is pic

6 Likes

A banana is certainly incredible, they are just so common that you forget about how good they are.

4 Likes

I cant fathom how many trees in how many countries there has to be to give what seems to be every store… pallets of them every few days. Year round without stop year after year after year. And still sell them for .20 to .50/lb. I imagine the farmer probably makes 3 cents per lb to get them to market with all the middlemen and upsales…and ship them all over the world.

I wonder if a ripe on the tree banana tastes better than the one that is in my grocery store still green… how green was it when it was harvested to get it to me?

4 Likes

I made fruit leather out of Carmine Jewel tart cherry and the flavor was the best sour cherry flavor I ever tasted. It didn’t seem that good fresh. Better than Montmorency although I do like that flavor too, and the tree is so easy to grow.
I like white or red fleshed (which are technically white) nectarines. Arctic Glo, Arctic Jay, and Spice Zee Nectaplum. Pluots, mostly Dapple Dandy, and Flavor King, some years DD is not that good, others it is fantastic. Also Spring Satin plucot and Nadia Cherry-plum interspecific hybrid. If you like tart cherries, you will love Nadia. It’s just a giant cherry.

I also love New Berry blackberries, and Marionberry. Taste like strawberry the raspberry/blackberry hybrid Tayberry.
Cascade Gold Yellow raspberries is a favorite too.
Irene the pink raspberry has an excellent flavor.
White D pineberry strawberries are awesome. The start is pineapple, and finishes with a traditional strawberry flavor.

Musk strawberries have a strawberry cotton candy flavor. Syrup from them is amazing.

Note the red seeds, has white flesh.

4 Likes

Flavorella plumcot from the farmers market blew me away last year. Like a Santa Rosa but better. I wish I could grow this variety but it sounds like a difficult one to do right.

2 Likes

Anything red fleshed.
Nectarines

Peaches

Pluots

9 Likes

wow–durian is getting mainstreamed sooner than i thought! It really is delicious and one of my favorites. And i agree it does impart a sensation of ‘high’ and satiety which have not experienced eating other fruits. An inexplicable euphoria. Certain varieties of mango, jackfruit, jujubes, cherries, and annona’s impart the same thing but they are all a distant second to durian when it comes to the euphoric effect.

as for the favorite fruit question, i won’t be able do justice to the query as it is really hard for me enumerate all my favorites being a bit ‘promiscuous’ when it comes to fruits. It is like asking someone what his/her favorite song is. Will likely be by the hundreds, and impossible isolate the top 1 favorite as there are so many top 1’s !

7 Likes