What is your favorite tasting fruit

have a 4 cherry one growing in a protected spot on the south side of my house. had stella and ranier on it and i grafted kristen and another z4 rated one that i don’t remember. wish me luck! the hard part will be keeping it small enough so it doesnt grow over the 15ft. roof line. had a couple scions left so i grafted them on my monty. seeing it has some sweet cherry parentage maybe it’ll take. if it does ill graft more to it. imagine a sweet and sour cherry tree!

2 Likes

whats the taste like compared to the yellow fleshed? is it more plum like? i like red flesh also. why i planted black ice plum.

2 Likes

I love sweet cherries even though they aren’t my favorite I still love them, I eat them the most since they are the most common cherries I have

2 Likes

Yeah I never tasted CJ cherries hopefully this year so i will rate them, I tasted other varieties though

2 Likes

As I Filipino, it warms my heart to see durian listed so prevalently. That being said, can’t grow that in NE…so apples, pluots, peaches/nect, asian pears, and cherries. Looking forward to some strawberries and blueberries in the next month!

8 Likes

Cavendish bananas taste pretty similar either way, and the best practice for bananas is to cut the whole bunch as soon as one ripens, then hang them and eat them as they ripen. So picking green and ripening off the plant is what you’d be doing anyhow.

Now there are hundreds (thousands?) of other cultivars that have different flavors and textures than Cavendish, but that’s a different matter.

2 Likes

yes, Cavendish pales in comparison to other varieties that have much more complex and rich flavors. i have had some amazing nanners…

1 Like

Black Ice is a good plum. I don’t like many plums, I do like black ice, Santa Rosa too.
White fleshed are sweeter, and the trees need a few years to develop full flavor. Usually the first crop can be watery and tasteless. Not always though.
Indian Free peach tastes like cranberries. Other just white peaches, I cant say? I have never tasted any. Only white nectarines. Which to me have a milder flavor. The yellow flesh has a certain flavor, and that is not there in whites, which is a good thing. The aftertaste on yellows is not that good, the finish on whites is excellent. Arctic Jay has some acid, and that makes all the difference to me. Very sweet, yet still with some tartness, a strange combo.
Arctic Glo red fleshed nectarine has very strong acid, rhubarb like. Better than Indian Free which almost needs sugar, at least here. Hard to get high sugar in the Midwest.

3 Likes

I don’t know what my favorite fruit is - I love fruit so so much- but I am tearing up reading everyone’s comments and imagining tasting the berries and fruit from all the bushes/canes/trees we recently planted. I’m so excited!

I will say though, my parents grow O’Henry peaches in Idaho and when they bring some over each year to us in western Washington, my friends and coworkers here all say they are the best peaches they’ve ever had. Even people who grew up in the SE.

3 Likes

Yes very good peaches. They tend to get bacterial spot though. Many other excellent peaches out there too.

2 Likes

The thimbleberry, Rubus parviflorus. My favorite fruit for taste, not for texture or convenience.

5 Likes

Are you saying you planted your plant they aren’t giving fruit yet, if so, that’s me, except strawberry’s :joy:

1 Like

Lychees and Ranier cherries followed by Middle Eastern type muskmelons, yellow/orange watermelon, white nectarines, pomelos, satsumas and blood oranges.

3 Likes

I love Rainer cherries actually this is behind sour for me, completely forgot about them considering how long ago I ate them

I like a lot of fruit, but that’s probably my favorite. They take priority in my garden, and are usually the first thing I plant.

Persimmons are good, too; I really like the crunchy non-astringents I’ve tried. I enjoy all sorts of pears as well. Well-ripened figs are great. Have only eaten a few serviceberries, but they were delicious, and I want more! I like sweeter fruits on the whole, but I don’t mind sour stuff sometimes.

I’ll eat pretty much anything remotely fruit-esque in pie/cobbler/dumplings form! Rhubarb, gooseberries, cherries, ground cherries, apples, peaches . . . .

5 Likes

Hah- we planted everything last spring, so we’ve only had about 5 blueberries and a couple apples (miraculously on a first year tree!) so far. I see baby fruits on many more of the trees and there are some blossom buds on some of the raspberries/blackberries we just planted this spring, so I’m hopeful we’ll get to do some taste testing!

At our previous garden, we were really impressed by Logan and boysenberries, black raspberries (Jewel), and two apples: Ashmead’s Kernel and Enterprise.

2 Likes

I have a sweet tooth. The sweeter the better. I also don’t like too many grits in my fruit. The grits are the issues I have with sapodilla and asian pears which put the sapodilla on a D and the asian pear on a F for the school ratings list. I would put my favorite being those deep black cherries at a A+ and the red at a A-. I would rate the white cherries like Rainier at a A My favorite to eat fallowing the cherries would be the European pears namely the Comice and it’s relatives like Warren and Magness. Apples like a fuji and pink lady apples are a close tie. Saturn peaches fall close behind the apples.

2 Likes

If you have not tried any white peaches other than Indian Free I highly recommend Saturn peaches. While Indian Free is known for it’s tang the Saturn peaches are the closest you can get to raw sugar in peaches. Think about if you had a good peach and injected it with sugar. I found it hard to go back to regular peaches after eating the donut peach.

That’s funny, same for me I had some blueberries, a cherry(one half ripe, still good) and that was it, have about 40 cherries this year green so far, some blueberries, I see blackberries and raspberries blooming, and some strawberries will see how much I’ll be able to eat by the time they are ripe, I don’t want to have to “share”.

1 Like

My favorite fruits are mango and jaboticaba… :yum:

4 Likes