What pears are you adding this year?

I want to add Harrow Sweet but Starks and Bay Laurel don’t offer it. Harrow Delight they have, so I’ll go with that or Starking Delicious. Wish I knew more about Starking Delicious, they say Bartlett like with sweet smooth taste and fb res.

1 Like

Mine got fb

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll scratch that one off the list.

2 Likes

I recommend selene elliot , a variety developed by UC DAVIS resistant to fire blight
http://www.pepinieres-escande.com/fr/admin/pdf/1224487335.pdf

1 Like

Here you can see some French varieties of pears.
george Delbard is a French geneticist who has more than 50 years developing different varieties of pears and apples, its apples are good, although there are better, but the pears are very good, in his collection certainly highlight their pears (super comice delbard,peradel,fertilia,delbard delice,gourmande)
http://www.georgesdelbard.com/CT-791-poiriers.aspx

1 Like

Thanks I appreciate the link.

Harrow sweet is the one euro I really want to add next year. Dripping Honey is the Asian I want to add. Although I do have Misharasu which some people say is the same thing. Hasn’t bared yet though.

1 Like

Schlabach Nursery offers Harrow Sweet and several other good Euro pears including Harrow Delight and Magness. I got my HS and Blake’s Pride from it.

You can call toll free for a catalog at 866 600-5203. I like this nursery.

2 Likes

Thankyou very much!

Curious how the pears added last year turned out for everyone?

I had 100% take on the pears I grafted last year. A few, Ayers and Potomac, only grew about 8-12" but have flower buds on them. Many others grew about 3’.

1 Like

Just added a flordahome, total impulse buy on my part.it’s supposedly fb resistant.

1 Like

I’ve ordered a Kieffer and an Orient pear tree for 2017. I also ordered late this spring a Duchess d’ Angouleme, per so many wonderful descriptions here.

1 Like

I have a Starking Delicious, aka Maxine coming from Stark’s end of March. We both liked it after sampling some at an orchard last year. We brought home maybe 20lb worth, and canned 7qt I believe.

I just saw @SMC_zone6 's comment on it getting fireblight, I was under the impression it was FB resistant, so we’ll see. It’s on seedling rootstock, so it’ll be a long while before I see any fruit.

1 Like

For those of you who would like to eat pears while your waiting the next 12 years or so on warren to produce may want to know what pears produce quickly. Karls Favorite aka Ewart are sure spurring up quick like an early producing pear would do. Harrow sweet is a fast pear possibly producing pears in a very short amount of time. My harrow sweets are flowering. Maxine and harrow delight have a nice shape but are definitely not as quick to produce as harrow sweet. Seckel is another relatively fast producer on 333 rootstock. Mine are blooming now. Any type of Asian pear produces fruit quickly with Drippin’ honey taking the longest of any that I grow. Duchess and Douglas are very fast producing euro pears. Some of the quick pears such as harrow sweet, Douglas, duchess, and of course the Asian pears can fruit in 2-3 years.

4 Likes

Magness is another slow poke as are many others less well known pears. @alan says a lot of good things about harrow sweet and they are all true so far in my experience but I will know much more after this year about how they do in Kansas. The branch structure is excellent, the growth is excellent, disease resistance is good, flavor is good. Though I don’t consider flavor the very best it should be said now the flavor is leaps and bounds better than any other fast producing pear. They are higher quality than most pears that take much longer to produce.

Quince, quince , quince. If it is an option of course and used with known compatible scion will speed up the process for sure. Twice in separate spots I fruited Magness on quince in its third leaf. I agree about Asian pears too. Most of them have been very quick to come into production. For southern growers who can use calleryana most varieties produce pretty quickly. There are exceptions of course.

Drew

2 Likes

Added a Kieffer and two Pineapple to what I planted last yr. (Orient, Hunter’s Choice, and Ms. Laneene).

1 Like

Picture of my new Flordahome, planted in early February and it’s already taking off…

3 Likes

I have 10 Euro pear trees in ground with 16 total varieties, two Asian pear trees with three total varieties and one Shipova tree. I thought I was done after collecting Concorde last year, but this site, and Clarke in particular, shattered my will in early winter and I was forced to collect the following scions:

Abbe Fetel
Aurora
Forelle
Nye Russet Bartlett
Passe Crassane
Taylor’s Gold

20th Century
Korean Giant

I’ve still got one more Asian pear I want and two or thee Euro pears, but those will wait until next year. Meanwhile, I have to figure out where I’m going to graft all the newcomers.

5 Likes