What’s is your most prized tool/equipment

Being old some garden tool/equipment are more useful now. This one I use a lot is my homemade dolly, actually an old dolly redone with flat free larger tires, a little cutting/bending/welding.
Ugly? Yes. Works like a charm.

22 Likes

My harbor freight dolly has been batting above its pay grade, moving around my vertical planters and compost bin. I see now that it’s marginal capacity can be drastically improved with some modifications using the welder at the office :grin: Thanks for sharing!

Currently I’d say my good old wheelbarrow is the winner for versatility. Moving rocks for planting bed edging, mixing soil, hauling dirt in general, it’s a good cheap tool. I’m planning to upgrade from the cheapest Lowe’s model to something more heavy duty (and higher capacity), maybe by next year at an end of the year clearance if possible.

4 Likes

Used by multiple generations in my wife’s family. It handles black walnuts and hickory nuts with ease. Love to know more about it, the company and years they were available, etc…

11 Likes

my 20 hp diesel Mahindra tractor with dump is awesome to move large amounts of manure, mulch and soil. after that my tilting trailer i tow behind my lawn tractor. use it to haul plants dirt, pruning’s , rocks, whatever. found it abandoned in the bushes at my old place. tires all dry rotted but still firm enough to carry 100lbs.

4 Likes

I have several pieces of equipment that I prize.

1. Tree and landscape hand truck. The shipping cost almost as much as the hand truck itself, but with it I can move a tree in a 24" ceramic pot by myself. IMO, that makes it indispensable.

2. Post hole digger/auger. This is an antique, and it’s NOT the kind that looks like two shovels joined together. It’s an auger. You turn it and it digs into the soil and lifts it out. What makes it really nifty is that the hole it makes is exactly the size you need to plant a 1 gallon plant. If you are trying to plant in tight spaces, it really minimizes the soil you have to move and the mess planting makes.

3. Root Slayer XL. I splurged and bought the full-length handle. I love this shovel; it cuts through roots like butter. PVC plumbing too–be careful where you use it!

4 Likes

My Ford 850 tractor. It’s old and ugly, but it fires up every time, and I just love the feel of sitting in it.

9 Likes

I’ll go with a Ford tractor as well. The bucket is indispensable. It helps me make about 5 yards of leaf compost every year. Push over brush, plow, rototill, post hole diggers, log mover, snow plow, it does so much.

7 Likes

Old Ford tractors, yes, I love them to, had one, a little older than pictures showing, no front bucket.

1 Like

Can you share a photo of your auger?

It’s in the back corner of the barn awaiting repairs. Here’s a photo of a similar item I took from the intergoogle.image

2 Likes

I bet I could weld an auger onto an old wheel bearing to make something like that! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

This tool digs, weeds, waters, moves plants, grafts, kills bugs, moves good bugs,

15 Likes

You might want to add a brain, it would help to, but it’s optional.

4 Likes

I highly recommend you do not try to put an 18” attachment on it and run it 3’ down into solid clay. That’s why my attachment needs some welds to be operational again. 18” holes are a job for hydraulics.

2 Likes

I don’t have solid clay fortunately! I hope you are able to get it fixed.

1 Like

I’m very grateful for my mostly rock-free topsoil, but my Razor-Back trenching shovel has been my tree-planting workhorse, cutting equally well through old turf and highly compacted soils (my greenhouse was a compacted dirt floor garage for 70 years). It cameoed in the photo in this recent post about my soil:

2 Likes

The brain is the CONTROLLER while the hands do the actual work.

2 Likes

@disc4tw I don’t have a photo of my own, but this one is almost identical: Vintage Antique Good Hand 8" Post Hole Digger Dirt Auger Iwan Bros Farm Old Tool | #326958309

2 Likes

My Cushman atv. It’s old but a workhorse. Hardly a day goes by that I don’t use it. Bee check station, check trees, check fences, pull wire, pull up trees, pull tarp with branches or leaves,

move plants, move mulch, move rocks, carry around sprayer, ride around son and grandson. Priceless!

6 Likes

I got a sweet mower last Fall. It chews thru anything thrown to it.

5 Likes