What’s is your most prized tool/equipment

@aap How is that bottom ground extension attached? Is it welded on?

Yes it’s welded. The extension on top of the plate could go up, bolted.

1 Like

That’s gotta be a King Cracker I think??? I’ve had one and lost one and it was very similar except mine was an (antique like yours is) and was black; and now the King Cracker being re-introduced it black, too. It’s basically the same. Both my antique and the newer ones have a round handle. My antique had walnut maybe… while the new ones have a plastic ball…

2 Likes

Cool, thanks… Not sure what the handle species is but sure looks like it could be Walnut. It’s been mounted to a heavy oak board for many years… My wife says she wishes she knew how many walnuts had been cracked by it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yep, that’s a beauty.

2 Likes

Now THAT’s a mower!
Mine is a tiny John Deere that I hook a gorilla cart to the back of and throw all my ‘orchard tools’ in . (Always trying to see if I can take everything I’ll need - without having to go back for anything! An endless little game.)
We tried to get something more like Regina’s Cushman . . . but they are not to be had with all the shortages. So, we got off much much cheaper - and decided to go with a little riding mower instead. It works. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It goes “on and on” here too, all day :rofl:

I have a wimpy, little, lightweight, garden cart that was a free gift with my fathers yard gate width oldie Sears mower. It’s still chugging along though 15-years later. I’ve always to upgrade!! I’m either stupid or a cheapskate… I’m not sure, which…

I want so many more things -

a tractor is a dream of mine … it’s a rare dream.

5 Likes

You should definitely upgrade to a dumping cart, it looks like that mower could handle a fairly heavy load. You could carry around a lot of trees and brush and mulch and dirt that way!

2 Likes

I have a 1974 Troy-Bilt Horse tiller. I smile every time I use it.

3 Likes

I was skipping this thread until I thought about it more. So here goes.

Maybe thirty years ago my wife bought me a very nice fork. I was a little disgruntled because of the price ($85.00) but it really is a great tool. I use it to turn soil, help sift out roots, rake the roots off of the bed, draw lines in the soil for seeding, and I lean on it quite a bit. I damaged one tine using it as a pry bar -my bad- but it still functions perfectly.

I have shovels and spades and hoes and cultivators and Korean cultivators and rakes and such, but if I could only have one I’d hold onto that fork.

4 Likes

For me it would be my 35hp Kioti compact tractor with a cab. I use it in the summer for brush mowing, tilling, spraying, road work and moving all kinds of materials with the pallet forks or bucket. In the winter it’s the lifeblood that allows me to get in and out of our place with the rear snowblower and front bucket combo. All the while doing it in comfort whether it’s the cold a/c in the summer or the heated cab that keeps me warm when it’s -30 or more in winter. I can’t imagine being without it where I live.

2 Likes

I try to talk myself into buying a similar tractor from time to time. It would be nice to have, but I can’t quite pull the trigger on one. I put a Boss snowplow on our UTV last year. It is definitely nice to plow snow in a heated cab. We took the UTV to a bar last night to get some chow from a traveling food truck. The A/C was certainly nice.

2 Likes

That’s one piece of equipment/toy that I don’t have but sure would like to. Maybe sometime in the not so distant future, we’re just really working hard at paying off the property at the moment.

3 Likes

It’s kind of funny. For years I’d say to my wife how dumb it was for other people to spend money on Rangers/Commanders. Then, I thought it was dumb for an aging couple to not have one :slight_smile:

We really do enjoy riding around in the thing. It does do some work around here too, so it’s a bit easier to justify the cost.

3 Likes

i agree! we got a 2018 Kawasaki Trexx 800 4x4 and love it! has high/ low range and 4wd diffential lock. was the wifes idea to get one so we did. things a tank in low range and high range its very peppy on the throttle. got a good deal on it at the end of season sale. in years with less snow i use it icefishing. i bought a 2005 20hp diesel mahindra tractor from a widowed friend of ours. only had 600 hrs on it. has blower and front dump but no cab. sucks when its windy and cold. im considering having a friend make a cab for me but it wont be cheap. if i can keep the snow off me id be happy with that.

2 Likes

The skidsteer has been very helpful for me cleaning up autumn olives that over took everything. And everytime I go to the orchard, I’m normally on the kawasaki teryx.

4 Likes

Another Utv tool to make things easier. My go to fishing/garden and what not tool, going on 10 years now.
Around 80 containers? Piece of cake!!

5 Likes

I don’t think I can say just one thing. It depends on the project. For me, it is my wheelbarrow, pruning snips, and round point tiling spade.

1 Like

When we were at the dealership buying our last pickup, the dealership owner had a Gator in the showroom listed for sale. It was his, mostly used by his grandkids on his estate, with very low hours. Paul pressed him for a better price since he was buying a pickup too, agreed to a deal and we brought it home. I wasn’t on board, thought he was crazy, wasn’t sure what we’d do with it. Well, I ended up taking the thing over and using it daily! We have worked that thing pretty hard, I sprayed the orchard with it today, and now I need to wash the coating of sticker off.

4 Likes

@AndySmith … I love my old Gator with a dump bed. It hauls tools, bales, compost, leaves, grass clippings, pruning brush, wood, weeds, 25 gallon sprayer, apple boxes, crates full of produce, etc. It doesn’t compact the soil and I can drive thru the small gate openings. It will pull a little drag and lawn roller for small areas of cover crops.
My brother nicknamed it “Tonka”.
It is also a great draw for youngsters that want to learn to drive. I get a little work from the kids in exchange for "drive time":grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
We bought it (well used) from my uncle and have replaced the tires and spark plugs. Super simple to work on too.
We have even pulled an inner tube around the snowy pastures with it.
One of these winters, I’m hoping hubby will build a few wood racks for the Gator.

2 Likes