What’s is your most prized tool/equipment

I bet I could weld an auger onto an old wheel bearing to make something like that! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

This tool digs, weeds, waters, moves plants, grafts, kills bugs, moves good bugs,

15 Likes

You might want to add a brain, it would help to, but it’s optional.

4 Likes

I highly recommend you do not try to put an 18” attachment on it and run it 3’ down into solid clay. That’s why my attachment needs some welds to be operational again. 18” holes are a job for hydraulics.

2 Likes

I don’t have solid clay fortunately! I hope you are able to get it fixed.

1 Like

I’m very grateful for my mostly rock-free topsoil, but my Razor-Back trenching shovel has been my tree-planting workhorse, cutting equally well through old turf and highly compacted soils (my greenhouse was a compacted dirt floor garage for 70 years). It cameoed in the photo in this recent post about my soil:

2 Likes

The brain is the CONTROLLER while the hands do the actual work.

2 Likes

@disc4tw I don’t have a photo of my own, but this one is almost identical: Vintage Antique Good Hand 8" Post Hole Digger Dirt Auger Iwan Bros Farm Old Tool | #326958309

2 Likes

My Cushman atv. It’s old but a workhorse. Hardly a day goes by that I don’t use it. Bee check station, check trees, check fences, pull wire, pull up trees, pull tarp with branches or leaves,

move plants, move mulch, move rocks, carry around sprayer, ride around son and grandson. Priceless!

6 Likes

I got a sweet mower last Fall. It chews thru anything thrown to it.

5 Likes

@aap How is that bottom ground extension attached? Is it welded on?

Yes it’s welded. The extension on top of the plate could go up, bolted.

1 Like

That’s gotta be a King Cracker I think??? I’ve had one and lost one and it was very similar except mine was an (antique like yours is) and was black; and now the King Cracker being re-introduced it black, too. It’s basically the same. Both my antique and the newer ones have a round handle. My antique had walnut maybe… while the new ones have a plastic ball…

2 Likes

Cool, thanks… Not sure what the handle species is but sure looks like it could be Walnut. It’s been mounted to a heavy oak board for many years… My wife says she wishes she knew how many walnuts had been cracked by it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yep, that’s a beauty.

2 Likes

Now THAT’s a mower!
Mine is a tiny John Deere that I hook a gorilla cart to the back of and throw all my ‘orchard tools’ in . (Always trying to see if I can take everything I’ll need - without having to go back for anything! An endless little game.)
We tried to get something more like Regina’s Cushman . . . but they are not to be had with all the shortages. So, we got off much much cheaper - and decided to go with a little riding mower instead. It works. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It goes “on and on” here too, all day :rofl:

I have a wimpy, little, lightweight, garden cart that was a free gift with my fathers yard gate width oldie Sears mower. It’s still chugging along though 15-years later. I’ve always to upgrade!! I’m either stupid or a cheapskate… I’m not sure, which…

I want so many more things -

a tractor is a dream of mine … it’s a rare dream.

5 Likes

You should definitely upgrade to a dumping cart, it looks like that mower could handle a fairly heavy load. You could carry around a lot of trees and brush and mulch and dirt that way!

2 Likes

I have a 1974 Troy-Bilt Horse tiller. I smile every time I use it.

3 Likes

I was skipping this thread until I thought about it more. So here goes.

Maybe thirty years ago my wife bought me a very nice fork. I was a little disgruntled because of the price ($85.00) but it really is a great tool. I use it to turn soil, help sift out roots, rake the roots off of the bed, draw lines in the soil for seeding, and I lean on it quite a bit. I damaged one tine using it as a pry bar -my bad- but it still functions perfectly.

I have shovels and spades and hoes and cultivators and Korean cultivators and rakes and such, but if I could only have one I’d hold onto that fork.

4 Likes