What Types of Scion Wood Can I Root?!

Last year I bought a cheap terrarium, now in use as fog box. Very successful for softwood cuttings
Air humidity is automatically controlled via sensor, it works great!

6 Likes

Alcedo,

Is that just a regular humidifier?

Tony

Tony, yes it is just a regular Ultrasonic humidifier by using distilled water.

1 Like

Thats a great idea (why didnt i come up with it). Im thinking about a fog box too. Could you please elaborate your setup a little more in detail? Which humidifier do you use?
Compliments again for that idea

Alcedo, you are the rooting expert. I was wondering when you are going to join this discussion haha

as you know my language barrier keeping me very often this. But if I can make a positive contribution, I would like to not be ashamed.

2 Likes

Please don’t be ashamed. You are making wonderful contributions. Keep it coming.

6 Likes

My setup I’ve used Terarium (or something similar), Accessories: Reptile Humidity Controler 2 and Lucky Reptile Super Fog II, this is all you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcrzGsFCmdk

5 Likes

Any idea if thickness is a factor when rooting goji?

Is that sold in the US? Have a link for a US supplier?

If there are Bed Bath and Beyond stores in your area,they carry different brands of humidifiers. Brady

Thank you very much alcedo

That’s a really nice setup. A cheaper, less ideal way to do it is to use an aquarium air pump and air stone in a container of water inside the fish tank. A container of water in the tank and a lid on the tank will also work for easy to root cuttings but Albedo’s setup would probably be the most effective.

the plants at home depot are usually not thicker than barbecue sticks, so one could surmise they could be mass propagated with thin ones.

I saw one on sale on Amazon UK. Not sure our Amazon prime is OK with the UK.

Tony

Yes, I saw the same thing. I was hoping there was someone in the states selling them. Shipping across the pond may not be worth it.

There is also the Repti Fogger by Zoo Med,but their controller is about twice the price of the fogger.
I’d just hook it up to a cheap timer.Brady

On the figs4fun forum I saw some posts about people having success with a cloning system that mists just the bottom (root) area:

https://www.amazon.com/Clone-King-Aeroponic-Cloning-Machine/dp/B008NBTXWY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1476571180&sr=8-3&keywords=plant+cloning+kit

This is subterranean irrigation. I have a cloning machine like the one pictured but a different brand. I built a dome for it. Some plants just seem to root better with medium rather than this kind of irrigation. Even with seedlings, I like to control the humidity. I built small enclosures using shower curtains and duct tape over a frame. I left space inside for a small humidifier. The problem is that the small ultrasonic humidifiers are not intended for high humidity use. They work fine, but don’t last long because the electronics corrode quickly in the high humidity environment. I love the idea of one designed with an output that can be vented into an enclosure where the electronics of the unit are not subjected to the humidity.

Thanks,

Jack

1 Like

Have you used that one? How well does it perform? The design of the Super Fog II looks very similar to the single room ultrasonic humidifiers I’ve used but with the output directed to a single vent that can be piped into the enclosure. The one I used held about a gallon of water and needed filled daily. How much water does the repti fogger hold and how much does it output per hour.

Thanks,

Jack