What unusual vegetables should I grow that I've never heard of?

Mexican sour gherkins are great. I grew them last year. They look like tiny watermelons. Very prolific!

Ok , you may have heard of them.?
These are some of my " walking onions"
They are unusual in that they are perennial , low maintanance ,winter hardy , and … They walk…
First week of March here in 6b Wv. And I am eating green onions !
Everyone should have a few rows of these.

X

Love those onions, if you let them get out of hand though they will walk all over you.

Welcome them walk to Chicago,my backyard.lol

annie, do you not have walking onions? If you don’t, pm me.

Mark, Thanks👍. PM is sent

I think taro is a common staple starch in the tropics, but it’s certainly unusual for most of temperate North America. A friend who’s also in zone 7 North Carolina just gave my family some taro she grew to use for “seed”. I think she’s been growing it for at least a few years. I think in our climate it has to be started before the last spring frost in flats under glass or otherwise protected, but I’m looking forward to having another neutral starch for the winter months. Sweet potatoes are our main non-grain starch, especially for the months of October-June, because Irish potatoes mature when it’s still so hot that they only keep well through September (at least without a climate controlled storage space), and as much as I like the sweetness of sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes aren’t always as compatible with other things as a non-sweet starch like Irish potatoes, so taro seems like it could complement our other non-grain starches very nicely.

The fat stem of taro stalk is a good veggie too. It has sponge like texture, it willbsoak up all the juice it is cooked in.

Do you grow taro in Illinois?

I wish I could. I buy both taro and taro stem from the store