What variety is this Pluot?

It was supposed to be Dapple Supreme, I’m thinking it may be Emerald Drop. The fruit is sweet, flavor okay. Also quite a bit of russeting just on this tree, any idea the cause zone 9b Glendale AZ.!

Joe - you may be right. I am not sure. Found some images online of Emerald Drop Pluot… looks close.

The images the inside fruit color seems to be more yellow/orange than yours… could be a difference in ripeness ?

I have a friend up north that has a Green Gauge plum… that he says is really good. I believe him too, lots of folks online agree with that, but it is a Euro Plum… it does look similar to yours, but based on your tree size, and that is is producing already, don’t think it is a Euro Plum. I have a couple of those and they are taking extra long to start fruiting. Longer than I want for sure.

Good luck with the ID.

TNHUnter

I checked all the green plums and Pluots at DWN and the Emerald seems to fit the ripening season and low chill the best. I also searched this group and found a few pics of Emerald that look like these. I planted this one last year and planted an Emerald Drop this year, I’m hoping it’s a Dapple.

The fruit of Emerald Drop and Flavor Queen looks very similar as well based on pictures.

I have a Flavor Queen tree which has not yet fruited. One defining characteristic of this tree (if not mislabeled) is that the young branches are garnet colored compared to the other pluots I have.

2 Likes

Flavor Queen ripens significantly later than Emerald Drop, right?

1 Like

At Hickman,CA,where Dave Wilson Nursery is,Flavor Queen ripens between July 15 to July 30 and Emerald Drop,July 17 to August 5.

1 Like

Hmm, I wonder where I got that notion.

This Dave Wilson chart sows less overlap than that, but also I’m probably thinking of Emeral Beaut as being the odd one out, ripening significantly later, although it overlaps with Flavor Queen, just hangs for a long time.

Now I’m glad I have my Flavor Queen graft. I have Emerald Drop on a multigrafted tree, and whatever Vincent has on another tree. Both flowered this spring, but neither set any fruit. The flowers are tiny.

1 Like

I noticed that,with a couple of,what are suppose to be,Emerald Beaut grafts.

1 Like

This shows Queen July 27th. with chill of 4-500 I probably got 250-300 chill and the tree set heavy. I think we’re 10-20 days earlier here. Flavor Queen | Dave Wilson Nursery

1 Like

I would be inclined to think , that the variety shown by
JoeAZ, is Dapple Supreme harvested too early (because of its flattened shape).
But I’m going with the California ripening dates, and this is my Dapple Supreme variety today:

And this is Emerald Drop harvested on July 18 of last year.

Flavor Queen is harvested later than Emerald Drop , so I think taht the variety of pluot of JoeAZ is Emerald Drop harvested very early, since it should have the flesh at its optimum point of ripeness, like this:

Emerald Drop  2

By the way .
Murky, I think we both go to the same hairdresser hahahahahahahaha .

Regards
Jose

5 Likes

@Jose-Albacete Several years ago I switched hairdressors from Gillette to Defender:

https://defenderrazor.com/

4 Likes

It finally occured to me to look up their respective patents.

Emerald Drop is listed as “small” for flower with diameter 14.5mm
Emerald Beaut is listed as “medium” for flower size

So this may be an easy screen for a likely mislabel.

Both my Emerald Drop on my multigraft Pluot, and the scion from Vincent’s “not Emerald Beaut”, have smaller flowers than any of the other stone fruit.

2 Likes

I have 4 or 5 suspected Emerald Drop on my tree. They are starting to give a little bit of give when gently squeezed and a hint of yellow in the skin. I last tried one a week or so ago and it wasn’t yet ripe. Similar to the ones from grocery last year. Hopefully I’ll get at least one that is like your picture.

1 Like

Hi Murky, from what I see we both continue to have less hair than a frog hahahaha.

The problem of the error due to mislabeling of the nursery was catastrophic (many people affected).
To make matters worse, there were people who shared grafting material from their “supposed” Emerald Beaut plum, before it fruited, which caused an even bigger mess.
Well now you will have some good Emerald Drop pluots (which is very good) and you will have to graft the legitimate Emerald Beaut plum.
I already have 2 legitimate Emerald Beaut plum trees in my orchard.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragement. I embraced baldness when I was still in college. No point in fighting :slight_smile:

I had plans for grafting Emerald Beaut this summer, but timing and scion quality did not cooperate. It seems one of the most confused varieties. Often called “Emerald Beauty”, often called a pluot, often mislabeled and actually Emerad Drop :slight_smile:

But honestly, I haven’t had any of the green/yellow/orange round Japanese plum or pluot that was picked fully ripe. I’m looking forward to it.

1 Like

murky, now I am eating the New Zealand variety Luisa, and in a few days the Honey Punch and Crimson Royale pluots finish maturing.

The Emerald Beaut plum is worth having in the orchard, it is very very good (it’s a pity that I don’t have any photos on my phone so you can see it), but it has a very good flavor.
If you do not have the Mariposa plum variety grafted, it is another one that you should introduce into your orchard (Mariposa is wonderful).

My collection of plums is really excessive.

Regards
José

My impression is that our climate is better suited to European plums. For a long time I didn’t even try to grow pluots.

Certain cultivars seem better for producing and staying healthy. But I’m finding sometimes its worthwhile to just try and see what happens.

1 Like

murky , the European plums must be chosen very carefully, the good “REALLY GOOD” varieties are little known in the United States.
The flavor of European plums is very pleasant, both round plums of the Reina Claudia type and oval plums of the pruna type (In Italy and Germany there are both traditional and recently obtained varieties that are truly incredible, especially the traditional varieties).
Japanese-type plums also have their charm, and in Spain spectacular varieties have been developed in recent years with brix higher than 18°-20° brix, large caliber and no acidity in the skin).

And finally the puots from Zaiger and other breeders (at the moment the ones I like the most are those from Zaiger, waiting to try the interespecific recently obtained by Provedo nurseries in Spain).
The good varieties of Zaiger pluots have a delicious complex flavor (perfect balance of sweet, sour and spice flavor).

It’s very hard to beat the taste of the good varieties of Zaiger pluots.

In a few days I will post photographs of the Honey Punch and Crimson Royale pluots in my climatic and soil conditions and you will see how wonderful that they are.

Best regards
José

3 Likes

Murky, if you are interested in good European plum varieties, ask me, since I know the subject very well, and good varieties are little known.
I’m going to show you photos of some varieties Italian and French oval plums, which are an orgasm of flavor.

Italian oval plums

• Prugna San Francesco

prugna-san-francesco

• Prugna Sanacore ( only grown in Sicily )

• Coscia di Monaca

Susino-Coscia-di-Monaca-2

• Grossa di Felisio Bianca

prugna-grossa-di-felisio-bianca

French oval plums

• Sainte Catherine

Sainte Catherine

• Cuisse di Nonne

These are just a few examples of hundreds of ancient varieties truly delicious (orgasmic varieties ).

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

murky and if you like the “modern” hahaha. Look at the news from the German breeder Artevos

Regards
Jose