What's flowering in your garden?

I prune all summer as needed. These trees haven’t been pruned much yet because they are just one yr from planting. The main controls on size are strict control of water with only 15 inches applied last yr, limited fertilizer, and close spacing which naturally dwarfs the trees. Some are on Krymsk 1 rootstock which is very dwarfing. We’ll see in a couple yrs how much issue I have with excess vigor. A few 3rd to 4th leaf trees indicate I shouldn’t have any serious problem keeping them small.

As a fall back every other tree can be removed. I’ve taken that into consideration by placement of dwarf rootstock and variety. There is more than one tree of proven varieties in case some need to be removed. It will likely be a case of removing some trees over time for reasons of crowding or fruit quality. Quite a bit of grafting over will likely also happen. Remove the bad and increase the good.

fruitnut, I just have to tell you how fascinated I am with what you accomplish in such a small space. Others here may have seen such a thing done before, but as a relative newbie to the fruit world I have been blown away by your set-up from the very first photo I ever saw of your greenhouse set up. I don’t think most of the world has any idea its possible to accomplish what you have. For some reason, all the photos I can remember, as well as those above, are of flowering and growing, but I have missed those showing fruit if you’ve posted any. No hurry, but sometime if you get a chance I’m sure others besides me would love to see some fruit on those trees, especially side views like the one used to show the fan above.
Meanwhile, thanks for those great photos. I’ve been worrying about putting one of my rows at 15 foot instead of my usual 18, and here you are talking about INCHES apart! haha. Great job. Keep up the amazing work you do.

Sweet treat pluerry and double delight nectarine. Burgundy plum will bloom any day.

My Eureka Lemon is in bloom. Unfortunately, the power in my greenhouse went out one night this week. It was already down to 21 degrees inside the greenhouse when I got my citrus plants moved into the house. I suspect the blooms are shot. Just hoping the plant survives. We’ll see. The rest of the citrus plants are more cold hardy, and look fine.

Enjoyed seeing the pics of the trees in bloom. Warm weather can’t get here fast enough.

My little 60+ tree “mini forest” is in bloom except for the apples and cherries. The cherries are just starting to wake up

All that is growing in my orchard, in upstate New York, right now are ICICLES.

Mike :sob:

1 Like

My spicezee nectaplum!

Bella Gold peacotum.

Sweet treat pluerry.

Sweet treat pluerry.

We’ve go peaches, plums, crocus, wind flowers, spirea, cornus mas cornelian cherry dogwoods, flowering quince fruit and forsythia is just starting to bloom.

Quince and aronia are leafing out but they leaf out before they flower.
John S
PDX OR

A few things are starting to pop.

Cornus mas-Always the first to bloom
Some others are Flavor Grenade and Supreme Pluots,Raspberry Red Nectarine and Spice Zee Nectaplum.I couldn’t show them because the files were too big. Brady

It will be a while before we have anything blooming in our garden, but , I sure do love and appreciate all the lovely pictures you are sharing. A feast for my eyes! Fruitnut, your gh is amazing!!

Ginny

Okay,I have a few more,since some members helped me get my picture resolution squared away.Thanks,Brady

Raspberry Red Nectarine

Spice Zee Nectaplum

Flavor Grenade Pluot

I went out to cut scionwood today. The snow now has enough of a crust that I can walk on some spots without falling through. Here’s a grape vine in a Home Depot bucket, with the snow just reaching the top. Everything is completely dormant, as it hasn’t been above 37 degrees since January 19th. But the end is near- this week looks more like a normal winter (no more sub-0 temps) and the week after is forecast to be in the 40’s.

Brady:

You must be having a very warm spring. That seems awfully early for you. Are you worried about freezes?

Grrrrrrhhh…we might have a freeze tonight.

Yes,it’s been pleasantly warm here,in the 60’s off and on for awhile.It could get dicey the next couple of nights,with lows about 28-30F,depending on whose weather report a person looks at.Then the temps will go above freezing into the week.If it drops,say below 27F,I’ll try to put some lights and a covering over them.
If what I’ve read about freeze damage is accurate,27F and below looks to be the danger zone at the stage where the flowers are at.
Then it’s wait and see for the rest of this month. Brady

Steve, that’s beautiful. Just have to say. Hoping I MIGHT get some fruit set on my Sandra Rose this year, but with my measy ch’s, not holding my breath.