What's Growing in Your Veggie Garden? Got pics?

Another nicely constructed, planned, and thoughtfully laid out garden. These are so different from my own which tend to wind up in any available unused space, delineated by whatever wood from downed large branches and trees fits the space, with saplings used as support for climbing veggies.

Is that corn in the front, Steve? It looks like maybe beans a little farther back. I can’t tell what is taller and lush in distance.

Very nice garden Steve.

Best way to find out what works in your area.
Good Luck, Its looking great so far.

Yes, that is corn in the front. After that, it’s zucchini, watermelon, cucumbers eggplant , peppers and the lush looking stuff is a bunch of different tomatoes. Then a 3’ walk way , then my other box has radishes, strawberries, lemon cucumbers and pumpkins. Also @ each post I planted sunflowers. I know I probably planted too much, the pumpkins are already taking over.

If you look to the right, you can see a few of my pluot trees, I planted them 3 years ago right off my back deck. They are finally starting to look like a hedgerow, I planted them 7’ apart. Hopefully next summer I’ll be able to walk out on my deck and be able to pick pluots without bending down.

Thanks David!

EarthBox tomatoes are getting huge now and setting a lot of fruit. I planted these out around St Patrick’s Day. Still no sign of spidermites thanks to 7-10 day regimen of neem oil:

The garden beds are in transition from cool season to warm. Here I have some full grown Kale with eggplant and pepper starts from back in April. Note the olla pot in the center to conserve water, and to make watering easy:
:

1 Like

Your gardens are coming along nicely. I haven’t even planted anything yet. they’re calling for 36 deg tonight. I did till the garden. My soil was sandy with clay so Three years ago I tilled in on car hauler of compost and then used another to mulch with. I tilled in the mulch two years ago and covered with a trailer of horse manure. This year when I tilled the dirt was nice and black. I Ran some rotted wood chips leaves and sticks through a hammer shredder and put it on top as mulch this year. I got the shredder chipper for free because it didn’t run. Cleaned the carb reversed the hammer bars and changed the oil was all it needed plus fuel line.

Looks like a really fine grind. What a great price for such a workhorse!

1 Like

That’s with the standard exit shoot too. The holes are about 1" dia. You can get different sizes as small as 1/4" for making planting soil. I think this stuff might have shredded better because it was three years old after being chipped with a commercial chipper. It’s a very dangerous wicked machine. Lots of havoc going on in there. I would hate to get caught in the business end of it! I’m impressed with it. I was just going to make it hook up to my Simplicity tractor and run it off the pto but it started and runs fine. I want to make it towable with the tractor so I can pull it around my yard with the hills and all. I want to make more with some rotted stick and leaf piles I have out back. I’ll put it around my trees too. It’s a 1976 Amerind and Mackassic 12-p . They say you can shred cans and oyster shells too, but I wouldn want to try it!

Here’s the main veggie garden…tomatoes, peppers, summer squash, cukes, dwarf melons, and some asparagus I didn’t harvest.

n

@MrClint I like the olla pots. I didn’t know what it was thanks for posting about it. I like the ones that double as pots and a water well for smaller plants like erbs too. That’s a great idea although they are a bit pricey.

It looked like your cherry tree was a corner stake till I saw the bedded area back further. Nice little garden. What are the red pots for?

That’s a pawpaw in the back, actually. There’s another just out of the frame. The pots have the names written on them from seed starting, haven’t gotten my map made up yet.

I picked up my olla pots locally for $25 a piece.

4 Likes

Wow, Seth! You really established some major infrastructure there! It looks like you can get maximum production out of the space you have. Niiiiice.

Kelby, your gardens are like mine - straight in the ground, surrounded by what naturally comes from the yard. Seems like no matter how many rocks we take out, more are always working their way to the top. Someone must have planted ‘rock seed’ years ago, because they seem to grow on their own. :wink:

Moley I like your grow techniques. Your raised beds are nice for the back. I take it you weave the plants through the ropes. I wonder how tomatoes would do espalier style.

Thanks I’m trying something new this year, aside from using the plastic tomato clips, I’ve turned the trellis into a semi arbor, I have no doubt the tomatoes will climb 9 out of 10 years they go up the trellis and either disappear into the honeysuckle thicket never to be seen again; or the vines come down on themselves promoting diseases and a fertile environment for pests.

I’ve used, retail trellis netting, twine, plastic coated garden fencing, this year I’m very happy with paracord and tent line tensions, very easy to setup and adjust, and pretty cost efficient.

I enjoy woodworking and gardening, they seem to go hand in hand to increase the output of my small garden.

3 Likes

I’ve grown grape tomatoes 12’ high on a trellis going up my house. They were the yellow ones. I didn’t care to much for them they were kind of bland.

Got all my seeds from Baker Creek

Back row in ground bed has 8 plants on 1 foot centers, I’ll prune all suckers until they reach the arbor then use the suckers to help shade the fruit in July and August.

Orange Strawberry, Chocolate Cherry, True Black Brandywine, Atlantic Prize. 2 of each in the back bed, 3 Black Icicle paste type plants in the back most table top planter. Icebox watermelons in the middle table, Cantalope in the last table.

Middle in-ground 8 foot bed is peppers and basil this year, 8 each of corni di toro and gallo , 2x improved Japs, 3x shishitos and 3x arroz con pollo

Front in-ground bed is Jewel and Sequoia June bearing strawberries.