What's happening today - 2018 edition

I checked my pears and there was some splitting.

A mated pair of hawks are nested 100 ft from my garden and are patrolling the area so there is very little bird activity. I’m very lucky.

The birds around here are confusing. 3 weeks ago they were going after some very mediocre Hinnomaki Red gooseberries and pecking through my blueberry netting. Now there are ripe blackberries 4 feet away that they barely touch, and the handful of ripe blueberries I left hang on without the net haven’t been touched either.

Carried-away sounds more like squirrels

Doesn’t it?
But I haven’t seen a squirrel here in more than the dozen years we’ve been here.

You are so lucky.
There’s some new housing going up here and they took down some big trees where I used to see hawks perched.

This (long) video has a interesting suggestion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgpS1KgcIaw&t=854s

Essentially the guy dealt with a nosy and bothersome neighbor coming onto his property by putting up a sign that said “Smile! You are on Closed Circuit TV”

Crawling on a cucumber vine, a BMSB nymph spotted - the first I’ve seen

Doubtless, alas, not the last

Long day today after work spraying Glystar Pro around all of my trees. Should be good to go until next spring.

Short update video on my backyard orchard that I posted on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKwXs4KBb-k

Every day, I find the ground covered again with drops from my prune plum. It always drops this time of year, but this must be a record!

Rescued 5 whitenectarines from raccoon.Not fully ripe yet, but is near ripe, very sweet , flavorful with balanced sweetness and acidicIMG_20180726_083428130

Did the raccoon survive?

racoon harvested the rest of the nectarine

Tomatoes are coming in. Black krim are huge

Yayyyyy beautiful. Always love all of the colors!

Native American saying. When is it best to harvest the corn; the night before the raccoon does

We hear small shot fired in the common greenspace behind our house at like 3 am. Havent seen a ‘coon or a possum in weeks. Think someone a few acres down has had enough.

Snow queen?

Picked a lot of tomatoes today! I am quite happy because last year I did not get very much due to disease. This year I got serious about spraying for disease, alternating myclobutanil and copper. My plants are still showing a few signs of disease, but not nearly as bad as last year. Should get a good crop before they eventually die.

Probably pretty standard for a lot of you, but growing tomatoes in Georgia is much more difficult than I remember from my childhood in PA!

Probably have 30 tomatoes, reds and blacks and yellows. Think I’m making some tomato-basil-mozzarella salad. :grin:

sharp eyes,yes: