What's happening today 2020

Thanks, I was thinking about that. The grafts grew quickly and completely stopped. Now, they are slowly growing again. I am not yet sure if they are still sprouting from only the stored energy. I read (I think @fruitnut wrote) here that with figs its better to not pinch off the new leaves below the graft as they will redirect the sap flow. I was thinking that might be the same with mulberries as they bleed heavily as well.

Really? Pappa Johns, Dominos, are just two pizza chains where you order chicken on your pizza if you want it.

(I realize if uncooked/undercooked, or left too long hanging around as left-overs, there are dangers with foul…just like with ‘chicken salad’ at a summer picnic.)

2 Likes

Candy Heart, grown from a seed, is producing fruit.
CH2

Sweet cherries are in full bloom.
Cherry1 Cherry2
Cherry3 Cherry4

10 Likes

@zendog
Good Grief, zendog! putting peppers in the ground in March . . . in Alexandria!
Good Luck! Although . . . it is supposed to be 80 here today! LOL

2 Likes

@KSprairie - beautiful !

@Rosdonald
Regina - I love eating Pink Lady apples! They are reliably crisp and have a tart ‘edge’ to them. In the grocery, I’ve seen them described as a ‘baking apple’. But - I have never used them for that. Just eating.
I put in a Pink Lady tree last year. It had a couple of apples - but I removed them, for the sake of the tree. Apples are a real gamble in southeastern VA. Too humid and too hot, I think. But - I thought I’d give it a try, just for fun. It is a beautiful tree - if nothing else ever comes of it!

@Reg
What is that thing in the background, that (from this perspective) looks like a very very tall 2-bench seat of some kind?
And, that pony cart is really cool!

2 Likes

Yummmmm!

Isn’t that cart great?!
That thing is the old above ground pool deck. The firepit is on the other side of it and its like the ‘skybox’ for it lol

Definitely a joke! but also if you work near any pizza places the workers do not have a high respect for the chicken on pizza and food standards may be lower than you would like them to be.

The chik fil a pizza looks good and seems like a fun project for the kids for sure!

2 Likes

Honey berry buds in Minnesota and some garlic chives. Even the grass is still brown so this is pretty exciting stuff here :grinning:

11 Likes

Tree from ToA came in - splendour. Its fabulous. Beautifully branched, gorgeous multi tiered root. Im in love.
Liberty went in ground. My baby persimmon from @Barkslip looks good, just starting to wake up.

Splendour

Also:

1. First skeeter in my face (killed it)
  2. Seen half a dozen ticks. Found 2 attached to my back today. One on Demi. Brown dogs. Now my back itches like hell
  3. Chickadees, woodpeckers and cardinals pairing up.
12 Likes

Went for an early morning walk at about sunrise. Heard a gobble on adjoining property. That time of year. Dogwoods should be blooming soon.

Apple trees still on the verge of bloom. Maybe tomorrow. Still have not planted potatoes because of damn moon. :grin: Suppose to be heavy thunderstorms tonight.

6 Likes

Peach tree bloom in full swing here. Pretty sure I saw an orchard/mason bee visiting them. Apple trees just waking up. Weeds in the yard sure are awake! Have probably already killed a half dozen mosquitos, sigh…

6 Likes

Ticks already!?

1 Like

Went out and was surprised to see frost on my car’s windshield and on strawberry leaves. Did not think it was frost-cold last night!!

Glad I did not leave my blooming nectarine or potted figs out overnight.

4 Likes

Trees of Antiquity never seems to disappoint from what I’ve seen on here and my own experience. They aren’t that much more expensive either. That tree looks great.

3 Likes

Certainly flowering crab apples are in full glory in southern Kentucky.
And some sarvis/serviceberry/amelanchiers are in bloom.
And I have 3 apple trees in bloom, but less than half the buds open. Anoka, Braeburn and Fuji may open today…it’s already 75 at 10:30 a.m.
Odysso is a few days off yet.
And Wolf River may not have any blooms at all this year, or it may just still be too dormant to tell.

2 Likes

Found some fire blight on my LeConte pear today. Mostly localized on the blooms. :flushed::cry:

2 Likes

Planted some hellebores outside yesterday. Monty Don from BBCs gardeners world tv show turned me on to them. They said to place them outside even with frosts still occurring- I was skeptical but they still look nice. Very hardy plant and usually one of the first to bloom though mine will probably be another year to set flower. I got the WOW Helleborus that brecks was advertising as bigger and more outward facing. Anyone else grow hellebore? Here’s a stock pic

In other news, it’s so windy right now the chickens were struggling to get back to the coop :laughing:

7 Likes

Been busy the last few days. Cut up some pieces of skirting (underpinning) to put on the house, ran out of panels, so will need to pick up some more. The Doodette has been after me for years to replace it, so trying to get that done.

Finished with weeding and fertilizing my trees that needed it. Hope they respond to the treatments.

The four apples I grafted a couple weeks ago looks like they took, so I went ahead and potted them up yesterday. I then put them under the grow lights, and hope to go ahead and plant them out with my other six potted apples.

Yesterday, I tilled up the garden plot they’re going in. I think I’ll have room for all ten trees. They’re all on M7, so I think giving them 12-15 spacing should be sufficient. I have a couple of four year old M7 trees 15ft part, and they’re nowhere close to being too close.

Today, I got the old push mower out and mowed a bit before draining the oil, really needed it since it hasn’t been changed since we moved here. Shameful. Also was going to sharpen the blade, but it was chewed up and asymmetrical, so had to get a new one. The part of the yard I mowed looks a lot better, it’s starting to get wooly, and is full of wild onions.

It’s a warm sunny day, it got to 80 in the house, so had to turn on the AC for the first time. Guess spring is officially here, although it’s supposed to drop into the mid 30s next week.

5 Likes

this virus i guess has some good in it. at least everyone is out getting stuff done that they would have taken much longer to get to. my wife says this is Gods way of telling us to stop and smell the roses. :wink:

8 Likes