What's happening today 2020

I just googled Primrose and it appears that the Primrose is a garden variety? The latin name of the Schlüsselblume is primula veris. They grow wild here and flower from february to may. I guess they are related.

1 Like

Yes, your note prompted me to look up primrose: Primula vulgaris. So yes, they are from the same genus. I believe the primroses sold in garden shops here in the States are derived from those found throughout the lower elevations of Europe.
Nice that your key flowers are the “true primula”.

1 Like

:rofl: im sure!

All the bloom pics so many folks are posting makes me wonder if I put my orchard fifteen hundred miles too far north.

14 Likes

You might be 1000 miles to far north for fruit trees, but you live in a place many of us can only dream about.

6 Likes

@Palmer its a bit of the same here i only have a few chunks of snow left (friend 200ft higher on a bench has 1ft still) but cold wind and -7C at night sure makes me wanna make a greenhouse soon! I am glad my none of my fruit are blooming or there’d be no fruit for me this year

2 Likes

Thinned the PeachyKeen peach. Tried to be early and more aggressive than last year!

9 Likes

Suppose to be a chance of frost tonight. Sprayed my plum tree which has pea sized plums. Hanged a heat lamp on lower limbs. Trying to have plums this year after not having any the last 3 years.

2 Likes

It looks delicious. Please introduce the recipe and process. Thank you!

Are these good tasting?I read about the tree’s history and picked up a few cuttings at the CRFG exchange.bb

Almonds have had a good set so far

And a Korean Giant in bloom
My first cherry is starting to bloom as well

7 Likes

@Mpigg how old is your KG? It looks young bud covered in bloom. I planted my KG 2018 and I was happy with my bloom set which is about 15 clusters of flowers. But looking at yours I wonder if I should be happy with mine.

3rd leaf. I’ve not let it fruit yet. Maybe this year

2 Likes

I really like it. Fits my low chill, coastal weather very well. You can see my experience last year here - Peachy Keen Peach

1 Like

Totally unrelated to fruit, but since it’s been raining I thought I’d finish our taxes. Got the Fed returns done last night, and the state’s done this evening. Nice to get that out of the way, even if we did get a two month reprieve.

Now, I gotta to get my seeds and growing trays ready, it’s time to start getting those veggies going! My wife started a seed bed Sunday down by the barn, and yesterday I helped her mix in some extra soil to fill it up. So, tomorrow she’ll be sowing some greens and the like.

Every day it seems like I’m seeing more and more apple fruit buds on the trees. It’s exciting to see them bloom and hopefully produce this year, some for the first time. The peach blooms are waning, hope they will set some fruit soon.

4 Likes

Scarlet Prince in early bloom.

Nankings in Bloom

13 Likes

March? It was over 90 degrees here this past weekend. Ridiculous. :hot_face: Then today . . . In the 40s when I woke up this morning! Craaaaaazy weather.
Meanwhile . . . . . I forgot ??? that I ordered SIX MORE pomegranate plants back in February!!! I told my husband tonight and he started laughing. ‘Where are we going to put them???’
But, we’ll find a place!
This is what I ordered from Rolling River - AKA Planting Justice. Like everyone else - their shipping schedule is all in knots.
Sumbar
Suhr-anor
Sweet
Kazaki (That’s the one I really want!)
Sirenevyi
Sogdiana

Here is a photo I took this weekend - after all have been pruned. Still working on the darn weeds. Just have to pull them out by hand. Even mulch doesn’t keep them out. :confounded: We have to spray to get rid of the weeds on the exterior of the mulched circle. Very invasive grasses here in this field.

I think this is a Salavatski. (can’t read the tag in the photo!)
I did a lot of thinning of ‘canes’. Not much else - other than removing crossed branches and many growing toward the inside of the shrub. This is the 3rd year, in the ground, for most of the ‘grove’. A couple look sturdy enough to support a few fruits. Most need a few more years to develop. Will be very interesting to see which will eventually set fruit - or not.

BTW - does anyone know the proper term to use for a group of pomegranate trees/shrubs/bushes ? Would it be orchard? Grove? Grove sounds most appropriate, to me.

Phoenicia Pom (in grove)

Other thing that ‘happened today’. I found that my Black Ice Plum is officially dead dead dead. It’s a shame - because it was a very nice little tree. Not sure what the cause could have been. ? The deer did not get it. I noticed that they prefer the peach trees, nectarines and apples. My poor nectarines were extremely popular with the deer. I hope they will survive.
Plums . . . not at all. ?

R.I.P. Black Ice Not sure if I should re-use hole again . . . may be some ‘soil reason’ tree did not make it there. ?

My little Mericrest nectarine - lots of deer damage on other side of trunk. Any suggestions as to how to treat all the ‘rubbed raw’ areas? Is there anything I can do? We bought more stakes - to make it more difficult for the deer to get near the trees. And I bought some wire screen - to put around the trunks. I think I have some rabbit damage to a couple of them, too. - - - Looks like the center will have to be taken out further, next winter.

!
P.S. - We are all fortunate to have an avid interest - out in the fresh air. Hope everyone is able to stay close to home - and avoiding any contact with the ‘plague’. So far . . . I’ve only heard of one person, within all of my extended friends / aquaintances / and all of their circles - that has gotten ill. He was in pretty bad shape when he finally got tested and admitted to the hospital. Seems he ‘kept going to the gym’ and also attended a ‘conference’. Both petri dishes in disquise. For those of you who have to venture into places around others . . . Be safe - stay healthy. And thanks to all those who are caregivers and health-workers.

10 Likes

still 2-3ft. here . so far this season we’ve got 59in. more than average. been like that for the last 10yrs.

5 Likes

Officially low around 40 this morning…but about 6 a.m. I woke up with some sleet hitting the window. (And it was 80 5 days ago!)

1 Like

Snow has fallen languidly all through breakfast - a lovely sight. Not enough to cover the ground, though. Rain will replace it midday, today & tomorrow. After the wettest January in recent memory, there has been very little rain or snow through all of Feb. & March, so rain or snow are welcome right now.

Looking over the apple trees/whips, the buds keep swelling. Pretty excited about tasting my first Rosemary Russet (thank you, Ma’m in AZ) & first homegrown GoldRush later this year.

Still awaiting leaves opening so grafting out back can begin.
Gotta tear out Centennial Hops roots while the soil is wet and growth hasn’t gotten far. Yikes - Centennial roots double in range annually. Wouldn’t have planted it had I known.

3 Likes