What's happening today 2020

Took the day off today and getting some projects done.
First, moved some flower seedlings from the germination tray to plug flats:

which cleared up space to start peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants:

And, trees are coming down today! I’ll miss the shade and the structure, but I’ll finally have enough full sun for my upcoming fruit trees.

16 Likes

I am pretty sure it is orchard when the trees are cultivated, and grove when it is a wild grouping of one tree species. Too lazy right now to look it up. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What about a spinney or a copse. Both of those words are in the original Winnie the Pooh book. Pooh and Piglet were walking around a spinney looking for a woozle. I didn’t know the word and of course my kid asked me what it was. Had to look it up.

7 Likes

I like the Pooh reference. You would have to cut your trees to the ground periodically and let them resprout to have a copse (copse = coppiced woods).

7 Likes

I’m quite sure . . . at least the last time I looked . . . that I don’t have any woozles in my spinney. Er . . . orchard! :grin: But, out here in ‘these parts’ one never knows what will wander in! I’ll keep a lookout @growjimgrow !

4 Likes

Removing some doubles this evening and ran into a quad. Hadn’t seen one of these yet.

Arctic Blaze Nectarine

20 Likes

You could plant a thick thorny understory such as blackberries around the tree as a guild to deter animals

3 Likes

This peony has literally pushed its way through the weed fabric that the previous owner laid down…

8 Likes

I have to put wire cages around all my stone fruits or the deer will chew all the bark off the trunks over the winter. There’s just nothing else that will deter them, deer get HUNGRY over the winter.

1 Like

Free compost at local park.

11 Likes

I often wonder whether or not free municipal compost is safe to use for ebible like veggie gardens.

Would there be any chemicals or heavy metal still left in there?

Do you or anyone have answers? Do you have any reservation about using it?

2 Likes

The local stuff here is called Tagro. Supposedly safe, and supplied free to community gardens. Otherwise, it is $10 per cubic yard, with a $20 delivery fee in-town. The local landscapers love the stuff.

I do not use it in vegetables because it stinks, but I have used it to grow fruits, like tomatoes and cucumbers. All I add is bloom fertilizer.

The stuff from yard waste is usually pretty good, but it wouldn’t hurt to plant some bean seeds in a potful to make sure there aren’t any residual herbicides.

In my town grass clippings, the largest source of herbicides and insecticides, are not collected so the materials used for compost are mainy leaves and wood chips. I believe it is safe. I’ve used it for years. If I buy packaged compost I don’t know what is in it.

2 Likes

Wonder what is in it. The ccompost I get has very little odor. Just smells like ordinary earth.

Thanks, everyone for your responses. My town does not offer free compost but the city near us does. I personally don’t trust what in the compost from that city. They won’t give me for free anyway!!

2 Likes

My 2nd leaf carmine jewel. Tough little guys

8 Likes

Flavor king pluot bloom, always one of the best

20 Likes

Too often, if it stinks, it doesn’t yet earn the term compost. Not done yet. Usable compost should smell sweet, if at all.

2 Likes

Bored out of my gourd so I took a short drive through CA pear country, which is close to where I live

26 Likes