What's happening today 2020

mrsg47 not everyone seems to know what the word patience means
(it’s especially obvious when they get in an automobile)

3 Likes

Last winter I let nine lemons grow all winter long and picked them off the floor or pot in the early spring. They were nice big tasty lemons, but the tree lost a lot of leaves and took all summer outside to grow new branches. It never flowered till I brought it back in. I want to save that cycle for the hot sunny weather outside next summer. I’ve never seen it flower like it just did. Probably a thousand flowers on a small tree 2’ x 2’. It did spend several frosts outside before I brought it in. I have been to busy and my orchard and pool got neglected this fall.

4 Likes

I too would prefer citrus, especially limes, to ripen in the summer, but I’ve never managed to convince the trees. Lime had a really nice crop the year before, but I never really had a use for them. I have a use for limes in combination with gin in the summertime.

3 Likes

Humans kill more animals but they use cars to do it with.

Time happens, its gets away from us quickly. Between RI and the south of France I am growing and have grown citrus successfully, The leaves always come back once the trees go back out doors for the summer. Here in Uzes I am taking a chance and leaving mine outdoors for this winter. Right now its still in the 50’s here or a bit higher during the day. Leaves are yellowing but the lemons have ripened and are ready to pick. I cannot move my trees indoors as the pots are very big and heavy. So will be looking for burlap as soon as confinement is over in a week. I will wrap the citrus, and all of the pots. Fall is a beautiful time of year!

2 Likes

Katharine apples, an Albert Etter selection named after his wife. An excellent apple, crisp, juicy, flavourful. Ripens in November, so needs a long season.

8 Likes

I grafted Katharine a few years ago before realizing it is way too late for my zone 6. I will move on from it, unfortunately.

I’ve been trying to grow that one for a while, but my little tree hasn’t successfully produced any apples yet. I was considering grafting over it, but your description convinced me to give it more time. Thanks for that.

BTW: do you also grow Waltana, and if so, what do you think of it?

1 Like

Waltana is also a very good apple for my taste. A branch it was grafted on broke off last year, so I had to re-graft it, but I got a few apples in 2018. I picked a couple of apples in November and they were excellent, and left one apple hanging on the tree till December and it was mealy. So it’s a late apple but can get overripe if picked too late.

1 Like

Thanks, @Stan. I’ll have to fit it in somewhere, once I track down a scion.

1 Like

I keep a little spray bottle (with water) near my potted citrus, which I brought indoors. I knew the plants would not like the change in temp and humidity - so I try to remember to mist them every day or two. They seem to respond well to this and are producing buds and flowers, but after reading all your posts I’ll be expecting leaf drop.

4 Likes

The misting should help keep away the spider mites that are always a problem with my potted citrus in winter

@KSprairie, you are so awesome to give that feedback. I was just thinking about them the other day. Great to hear, and keep up the good work!:grin:

1 Like

@Stan, is it a good keeper? The color and shape reminds me of my arkansas black.

I’ve not yet stored them for more than a couple of weeks, but Greenmantle Nursery describes them as “long keeping apple”.

Here, Arkansas Black ripens much earlier (September), has much darker red color, and the flavor is very different.

My arkansas black was on till November, thus the comparison. I will keep it in mind.

1 Like

I agree and that nasty scale!

1 Like

Had both on the lime tree last winter. Now it looks great! They do prefer to be outside.

My potted Stella fig has one nice sized fruit that is maturing! The body of the fig is pretty squishy but the neck is not yet. YouTube has told me that the neck being soft is how to tell when to pick. Anyone disagree with this? This will be my first taste of fresh fig as you really just can’t find them here in my part of Minnesota. :grimacing::grin:

And that’s a new kitten. :upside_down_face: she likes to sit in the fig pot.

9 Likes

Congratulations :+1:
Since you have it inside the house and don’t have to worry about any animals eating it, if you can be sure about the kitten, I think you can leave it until the whole fig is nice and soft so the inside will be honeylike and sweet.

1 Like