What's Happening Today 2021

I have this “ fasciation“ on a kale plant.
Very bizarre ! Notice quarter for scale

!

8 Likes

Like one of 'em two-headed snakes, it happens.

2 Likes

Looks like I came out of it 100% okay. Corn, zuchini, cukes, and cantelope covered and survived. All grafted trees appear ok.

3 Likes

I don’t think there was any frost on the ground here. Now to move all those pots out of the greenhouse AGAIN! We made it through…

4 Likes

Did you survive the weather? We hit 32 last night in Lubbock. I don’t expect damage but who knows.

I just saw your post that answered my question. Sorry for the duplicate

1 Like

Wow. I had thick frost

Burned tips of exposed persimmon and pecan leaves.

But none of my projects lost or harmed

4 Likes

I have a few jujube trees with tip burn on the leaves but as a whole everything was fine. I had ice on top of my car but not on the windshield. The ground was just wet. I think my low was about 34.

1 Like

I got my frost blankets on then the wind whipped up to 40 mph gusts out of nowhere. It changed directions 3 times in 5 minutes too. My trees got battered pretty hard, lost 50% of my blooms on the peaches. I took the protection back off, it’s worse than the cold with the wind constantly changing direction.

2 Likes

Been there, done that. My situation was worse because I left the “cover” overnight. What a mess with tangled cords and broken branches on top of flower bud damage.

If you have windy weather, forget about covering. Damage could be worse than leaving the trees alone.

9 Likes

@mamuang - yes, wind really really complicates trying to cover things. Even with no wind there is potential for at least minor damage when placing and removing covers. Ugg.

Weather Channel and NOAA said 32 here this morning (I don’t even have a basic thermometer in the garden :man_facepalming:), but I observed no frost anywhere.

My experience has been that frost/freeze damage takes several hours to manifest, so I am not calling victory yet. This morning everything looks lovely, but come this afternoon my pawpaw leaves could be black and oozing…

1 Like

No wind, shirt sleeves weather and planted all six tomato plants, and my camellia. Added new soil to my potted fruit trees and fertilized all of my citrus. Put up the new umbrella on the outdoor table. A great day!

5 Likes

At last check my entire property seems totally unfazed.
I can’t understand it - supposedly 32 degrees but no frost as expected. No freeze damage.
Feeling very blessed!
My heart goes out to folks north who were hit. :heart:

3 Likes

Anyone have a more slanted outlook on life than this???

20 Likes

I could name names

1 Like

I’m glad your continuing to grow fruit trees at your new location. Hope they do well in the pots.

1 Like

How about these guys?
tenor-1
Okay,there was a trick to it,from what I’ve read.

4 Likes

At least it is away from the house…

1 Like

So I go out this morn to check on the fruit trees, there as yet being no clear sign whether they survived or succumbed to the frost.

And there are the cherries in full bloom, with bees all over the flowers. Which makes me think - bees generally know what they’re doing. If they’re after the cherry pollen, it must be good pollen - right? They wouldn’t go after dead pollen?

Which makes me think - there are no bees on the nectarine blossoms

3 Likes

Today I cried in my garden. I definitely have chosen a wrong hobby. Insects, animals, weather, lack of space and my own overgrown ambitions… They all together against me alone… Why that stupid rabbit should not only eat all my crocuses, good portion of my strawberries but jump in the pot with lettuce that didn’t even came up? Why almost no plant can be left without at least some kind of protection? And why the strawberries were planted on proposed path between sweet cherry enclosure and young apricot and they all flowering now which means I have to cover them up and have no access to strawberries? Why weather needs to jump from 29 to 75 in two days? And why the heck I ordered, grafted and potted 6(SIX!!!) apple trees when in fact I need to remove things, not to plant them if I am not planning on learning how to fly… So, I cried. And after that took my shovel and started to turn the bed for my potatoes… Because you know, you can’t buy young potatoes that you can just wash the skin off from… And, when I need some rest I can relax going through my garden again looking for 4th dimension for my strawberries…

11 Likes