What's Happening Today 2021

I use them flex rubber. Then sometimes cover with white electric tape. Vinyl. White to keep cool is my thought. Not pulled tight

1 Like

That’s what I call fruit growing extreme, not for me. Way to scary. I would start all over and trained them the modified center leader.

Interesting to see your bark grafts to get some lower limbs. I bark grafted some peach scions on the same tree to see if I can get some new growth on those inner limbs. Fruit continues to move outward and upward and eventually I will have to replace, no doubt. No signs of growth on those yet.

2 Likes

I’ll let ya know how it goes

1 Like

Today is the local Wednesday Marche day, so I’ll see what is local and in the fruit and vegetable stalls. The vendors are all really nice. I will pot up my tomatoes today as it will be in the 60’s this afternoon and the wind has finally died down. I must say, the strong gusts of the Mistral edited my peaches so little thinning will be left to do. This is will be great to get my hands in the soil again.

3 Likes

Waking around the neighborhood, noticed a group of apricot trees in full bloom! Never noticed them before, and it gives me more hope that my trees might actually live long enough to fruit.

9 Likes

I really need to get to know this person. They also have gooseberries and blueberries out front. The person I assume is the homeowner is an extremely old lady.

5 Likes

We old ladies can still grow stuff!!!

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

10 Likes

And how!

2 Likes

Today I move all my plants from deck greenhouse… back inside. They’ve been there for 2 weeks already. But we getting rain/snow mix started around 4 PM and it is expected next day and another night. Temp should drop to 36. An inch of snow expected. And dark, dark, dark. No point in heating the greenhouse during the day.

3 Likes

OMG, agree totally. If not, Im sure wasting a lot of time doing nothing. Besides, mother nature wasnt a spring chicken and she rocks!

7 Likes

Almond tree in the neighborhood. Blooms a few days after my Tomcot. The owners of the house say the nuts are sweet and that it produces almost every year without any sprays or special attention. They don’t remember what variety it is and they leave most of them to the squirrels since they let it get too big for them to harvest easily. I may ask them for some buds this summer.

14 Likes

Local grocery store had some decent looking apple and peach trees for $19. 2 gallon pots, 1/2 -3/4 caliper. Filled out the pots nicely without being root bound. Not in the market for either at the moment, but I have to say I was impressed with the quality to price ratio.

1 Like

TSC has some good deals also. my montmorency cherry i got for $6. was dead except 1 lower branch. planted and pruned off the dead and it took right off! 3 yrs. later and its a multi trunk 7fter. had some blooms last year but no fruit formed. maybe this summer.

3 Likes

The mulberry at my office has set tons of fruit. I hope it makes it.

12 Likes

Okay. Weather here supposed to set more cold records Tuesday night. Projected 35. Always always ALWAYS 2-5 degrees colder on my hill. I don’t think I’m concerned for just frost because the winds are supposed to be 15-25 mph falling to 5-10 miles per hour by 6:00 am Wednesday morning. I’m moving a lot of stuff into a tent greenhouse. I can put up heat lamps but I don’t know if I need to. I’ve moved in my Asian persimmon grafts from last year that are just now getting open buds and leaves. Jujubes grafts from last year with tender leaves. Figs. Tomatoes and peppers in pots. What about my new grafts… pears and apples mostly. The apples have tiny leaves just coming out of the bud. A few jujube grafts with tiny leaves. And then my pear grafts. See photo below for size.

What’s going to happen to these new grafts. I thought about paper bags (like lunch sacks) over them but with the wind I don’t know if that will do more harm than good. What do y’all think?

6 Likes

Wrote on another thread that I recall hearing that grafts/new buds are much hardier than fruiting buds. Mine went through 23 degrees recently with no loss. I wrapped some trees, but also lost some grafts when they got moved around during the process.

2 Likes

I kept 33 forecast and same hill issue.

Covering everything within reason. Hoping wind is a help too.

1 Like

It is 130 am. Temp outside is 33. Was supposed to be 37 right now. So the 32 at 6 am forecast is looking like 28…

Went outside and covered up things a bit more

Have almost an inch of fluffy …
beautiful…
(from inside).
Around 34.

East KY and on into wV
look to get hit pretty hard.

1 Like