What's the verdict on Honeyberries...are they tasty?

Id match aurora with honey bee, its productive but berries are tarter.

2 Likes

where did you get your strawberry S from? i looked on the BU site and it appears to not be available… Anyone else have this variety?

They came directly from BU, however it’s a wholesale variety. Hence why I said the non propagation stuff earlier. But I think they do small enough orders for a homegrower to snatch up a few. No one else will have that variety however.

3 Likes

Honey bee is the universal pollinator for that series as much as I hate even using the word. Same with “Cinderella”. I highly recommend looking up Love Honeyberry. Logie is another world authority, has an excellent book and quite a bit of info on his website as well.

1 Like

If space is limited look at Dr. Maxine’s yezberries, in particular the two dwarf ones Sugar Pie and Honeybunch (not Solo and Maxie). Put two of those next to each other and you’ll be golden.

2 Likes

The names are unfortunately written in polish, not in English or translit,
Sinoglaska is actially Sineglaska = Синеглазка
Czulymskaja is better written Chulymskaja = Чулымская
Altaj = Алтай ( some sort of Altaj, Barnaul bred variety, not sure were the plant breeding institution with it’s headquarters in Barnaul actually does honeyberry breeding)
Gordost Bakczara better written Gordost Bakchara = Гордость Бакчара
Jugana = Югана
Krupnoplodnaja = Крупноплодная
Leningradzkij Welikan should be Leningradskij Velikan = Ленинградский Великан
Nimfa = Нимфа (bred near Leningrad or Moscow)
Silginka = Сильгинка
Siniczka should be Sinichka = Синичка
Strezewczanka should be Strezhevchanka = Стрежевчанка
Tomiczka should be Tomichka = Томичка
Vostorg = Восторг
( Woloszebnica = Volshebnitsa ? if so = Волшебница )
Here is the description of the Bakchar (plant breeding station) bred varieties:
http://www.bakcharopss.tomsk.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105&Itemid=104
And of the newer selections:
http://bakcharopss.tomsk.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=87

3 Likes

Q for those growing in warmish zones:

Would the early ones like U of S Aurora and Indigo series be okay for the edge of Zone 5/6 (Massachusetts), or am I too warm here for them? I’m looking for fruit as early in the season as possible, and those had been recommended to me, but I didn’t know if they’d do well here or if I should go with later season ones instead. I’m hoping for heavy and reliable production, preferably early, and I’m not particular about flavor as long as they don’t taste like poison.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I Have those growing fine here. I am in the same zone. They grow just like the honeysuckles.

1 Like

got some new bushes from berries unlimited yesterday. I’m a little wary of this brand from past experience, but giving them another shot. ordered 1 gallon bushes and while these aren’t really small, the pots were significantly smaller than 1 gallon and several were barely half full of soil. i guess I’m a little unimpressed.

4 Likes

Please keep us posted on the quality of fruit when they finally produce. There are a couple on your list that I’ve been eyeing.

2 Likes

How much were they charging?

i paid 150 for 9 plants shipped…

Cool! I have 2 of those. One at least should have fruit this year. (Honey Gin)

I so far am most impressed with Aurora So I ordered the 3 U. of Sas. cultivars Boreal Beast, Beauty, and Blizzard. if you want to trade cuttings down the road, let me know!

2 Likes

They’ll do just fine.

1 Like

What about Aurora and Honey Bee or Indigo Gem zone 7a? I see some places say the Aurora is fine to zone 9 but I’m skeptical. Especially when HoneyberryUSA tells me hey are good for zones 2-6.

i put in 15 Aurora, beauty, blizzard, and beast last fall. hope for a few berries this summer. i have high hopes for them. well see i guess!

2 Likes

I’m in zone 7b here in NC, thinking about trying a couple of the Yezberries from PW, Sugar Pie and Honey Bunch. A few have suggested they would be better in warmer climates. Since they tolerate some shade, inter-planting under my orchard seems like it would work. Any other suggestions for the warmer zones for best flavor?

Wondering if any of the BU varieties are worth looking at in this area?

I’ve really appreciated all the input on this forum thread. It has been helpful for me trying out some Honeyberries for my first time. I’m in Spokane Washington a 5b/6a area. I ended up getting an Aurora, Indigo Gem, Blizzard, Beast from HoneyberryUSA this year. I wanted to try out and see if early or late varieties do better in my area. All the seedlings appear to be doing well so far. I put them in Part Sun/Shade due to sometimes we hit 100 degree F temps in the summer and it can get dry. I was wondering if anyone recommends pinching off the flowers like with blueberries during their first year to help encourage root growth? It sounds like honeyberries are very hardy plants though and might not need it. Thanks

2 Likes

They are extremely fast growers, even when carrying a crop.

2 Likes

In zone 7 they shut down when it gets hot so not fast growing for me. Maybe some varieties take the heat better.