What's the verdict on Honeyberries...are they tasty?

honeyberryusa often has larger sizes available…

2 Likes

question? who produces the blue series cultivars like blue moon etc. i cant find any info on them. i think they are another source from canadian breeders.

1 Like

I thought it was in Arkansas…
Berries Unlimited?
But, I’d also have to research to be sure.

Berries Unlimited has a bunch of varieties but I dont think they are well tested, I wouldnt be scared to try a few of their varieties, but I wouldnt invest a lot of money in them until you try them yourself personally, ive had mixed results dealing with them so far…

2 Likes

Several sites taxonomized Blue Moon as Lonicera caerulea edulis.

According to this webpage, Blue Moon comes from Northern Japan.

This website places it from Kuril Islands, which is close to both Northern Japan and Eastern Russia.

North Dakota State University (extension) has it listed as a Russian variety in this pdf report.

Here’s another interesting little “on topic” article that agNDSU published.

3 Likes

Has anyone grafted honeyberry scions onto winter honeysuckle? We have an overabundance of those (almost as many as callery pears) in zone 7b.

1 Like

Im thinking about ordering a bulk quantity of bare root Aurora plants from a licensed propagator. Is anyone interested in a ‘group buy’ for US people, minimum order would be 50 plants as they come in bundles of 50… $250 for 50 plants which would include repackaging and shipping to your location in continental US.

3 Likes

I bought some of the first Honeyberry bushes available in my area from Canadian Tire’s nursery. Bought several varieties, grew them out, and have not really found them worth the effort or the space they take up. Gave away a few last year and after they leaf out, I’m going the sell my remaining honeyberry/Haskap bushes to make space in my front lawn garden. Much prefer blueberries, strawberries, and pink lemonade blueberries for fresh eating, so this spring I’ll have more room for these.

What varieties do you have?

That’s true…we don’t all find the same girl attractive, not the same apple the best.

I dont think the first honeyberries available compare with current popular varieties. The only old variety im still growing in honeybee and I think I have a tundra in a pot still, but I have removed most of them also. The newer varieties are quite a bit better IMO.

4 Likes

blueberries grow great here but i still prefer the taste of honeyberries. since trying honeyberries i find blueberries taste pretty bland. ill probably mix the 2 in a pie. :wink:

3 Likes

i agree! and only going to get better with the interest in them.

2 Likes

I think so too. I do agree not the best for fresh eating, but I grow enough other fruits to fill the fresh eating niche. I’m into syrups mostly to enjoy with adult beverages. Well also water. I still have 4 or 5 gallons of various berries. The supply lasts all winter and into spring.
Boreal Blizzard from the U of Sas. website

One of many Honeyberry flips I have made

Aurora

8 Likes

I keep forgetting which ones i have, need to make a list I reckon.
Indigo Gem and Boreal Blizzard I think, and maybe Tundra.
Sold the plants I had of blue moon and Blue Velvet.

And Beauty & Beast are on order as I recollect from Jung’s.

i also have beauty and beast coming from honeyberryusa.com. hopefully my honeybee and younger aurora fruits some this summer. my indigo gem/ treat have been very sparse producers for me so im going to really put the fertilizer to them this spring.

1 Like

I’ll reiterate my question from earlier: Chonas

1d

Has anyone grafted honeyberry scions onto winter honeysuckle? We have an overabundance of those (almost as many as callery pears) in zone 7b.

If not and someone has some honeyberry scions to donate I can do it.

1 Like

if you want to give it a try i can send you some indigo gem/ treat cuttings in apr. once the snow goes down some and i can get to them…

Any plants whose leaves hang on longer than normal in the summer I guess would be good candidates.

I just ordered Boreal Beast, Boreal Beauty, Boreal Blizzard and Maxine to attempt to grow as a north facing foundation planting at my house in zone 7b Maryland.

2 Likes