Where to learn?

Where does one go to learn about agricultural tools such as sprayers, nozzles, pressures, pumps etc.

1 Like

Youtube.

1 Like

I should have said other then youtube

1 Like

Maybe drive into the rural part of the country…couple hours in your case perhaps…
and volunteer for a spell on a small farm/orchard. Such an education can be more valuable than a college course.

3 Likes

There is an ever dwindling supply of both time and experts. Prehaps one of them wrote some of their wisdom down.

1 Like

How much water do you want to pump and how high? I know a thing or two from work.

1 Like

Thats the thing. I truly want to know where people can go to get the basics. Getting to the point you have enough knowledge to properly ask the question by at least reading the manual. Back in the day @BlueBerry 's country expert would have had a stack of old catalogs. Just the ad teaches a lot why a new products design is superior. The internet has plenty of ad but they only advertise to you what you already searched for.

But to give an example. here is the product lable for Surround WP

I don’t want to be given the answer I want to know how to figure out the answer. And the answer I do not want is some sprayer someone bought 30 years go handles it no problem.

Your best bet honestly might be a local agricultural store. Around me we have Agway, not sure if that’s a national chain. Someone there might have some answers. Also a farm show would be a great place to start, just to network with people selling the products you are talking about.

1 Like

I have a 50 gallon tow behind sprayer with a 5hp Honda motor. Best thing I ever bought. Also, many people on this message board have posted mixing rates.

1 Like

I’d suggest learning how to read a pump curve

How to convert psi to feet of lift or head. Hint: 1 psi equals 27 inches of lift.

How pipe resistance losses are related to diameter of the pipe and flow.

How pipe resistance is related to pipe length

Know these things above and you’ll have an intuitive feel for how to make some work.

2 Likes

Friction loss is incredible at small pipe sizes.

2 Likes

KState is where you learn about all of that. They turn out some first class farmers.

https://www.ag.k-state.edu/

2 Likes

a nearby town here has a big ag fair every april. something like that attracts big and small farmers as well as orchard growers. there should be something like that around you. try contacting your county extension service. they’re pretty helpful.

2 Likes

I’m not sure of the scale of what your attempting to spray but I learned alot about sprayers from TeeJet Nozzle Discussion - The Lawn Forum
A short summary of the label is that if your sprayer doesn’t recirculate the spray mix (like my backpack sprayer) you must periodically shake and mix the spray solution to avoid sediment at the bottom of the tank. I’ve never sprayed surround but Scotts low impact spray guide explains it pretty well.
Low-Impact Spray Schedule (2019 Edition)
It

1 Like

You might be able to find a commercial applicator guide online.

1 Like

What is the name of your sprayer? I have been looking for one for awhile now,

Are you trying to start a business? I ask only because I used to be a turf and tree/shrub technician years ago, and all I did is follow the directions on the label and fill the truck, or, get out of my truck and fill my backpack sprayer. I just curious?

1 Like

I did not start a business, but I am buying some tanks accessories for personal use. Saving the details for a post next month when I can run down all the pros cons and bad decisions.

1 Like

That’s “loud and clear”. cool, and great luck!

I bet if you messaged some of the companies on this list that carry the types of things you want, you would get some good advice.

1 Like