Which trees will you plant in 2019?

A pomegranate variety that the pomegranates can get up to 5.5 pounds each, bigger than the average adult person’s head, and is said to be very high production. Not sure the quality of the fruit, yet at the very least it would be neat to see the huge fruit, maybe even use it for hybridization purposes, to make other varieties have larger fruit, and higher production.

Other than that I will graft two new varieties of plum, on to our plum tree.

2 Likes

Obviously you’re starting an orchard…and maybe making cider…sounds like! Wonderful collection.

1 Like

What pomegranate variety is that?

Baszk Óriás (Basque giant), it’s still very hard to find in the USA.

1 Like

I just found this photo online, a fruit of the variety that weighs 1/2 a kilogram (1.1 pounds).

3 Likes

Allen,

How did your figs turned out last season?

Tony

Despite being unprotected, and it hitting 3 degrees Fahrenheit winter 2017-2018, most of our producing fig trees had an increased crop size, all of them had less die back than the years before despite the bitter cold, the two that produced most in the 2016-2017 season, produced less in the 2017-2018 season. One of those two has tiny figlets that were not harmed by about 16 degrees Fahrenheit this year, the cold hardiness gained again. Two of our fig trees have never produced for us yet, another one only produces during the milder years, so nothing from it last season, hopefully it will produce this year.

1 Like

What are the varieties again.

Oh and the ticker trunks on the fig trees get infested with fungus and rot. Which can attract shothole borers to the trees, which cause even more damage to the trees, and that starts the trees out smaller, which makes them the trees a better form that is more cold hardy, that seems to resist fungus better. This year so far is looking to be free of that bad stuff so far. Some thicker trunks still rotting from last year.

1. Dominick = the highest production so far, it started producing very late last season so the higher production did not impress. It grew very thick trunked and started rotting a lot. Was the most cold hardy one. Yet very much still alive Dominick's Fig (unknown Italian variety of fig tree) / Bountiful post area / Bountiful Figs

2. Unknown Carini (There are at least two varieties called this, all from Carini Sicily) = the 2nd highest production so far, started producing early enough last season to impress, seems to have been the most cold hardy one this winter Unknown Carini ('Adriatic berry' flavor?) / Bountiful post area / Bountiful Figs

3. GM-142 3rd best production so far, started producing last season around the same time as Unknown Carini GM-142 ('Adriatic berry' flavor) / Bountiful post area / Bountiful Figs

4. Croisic = was the most cold sensitive variety that I grew, yet it’s turned out to be a very cold resistant variety, like the rest of our fig trees it gains cold hardiness every single year. Has not produced yet.
    https://foodplace.info/Bountiful_Figs/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=465#p4159

5. Peter’s Honey = Still more cold sensitive than I’d like it to be, yet it’s gained cold hardiness each year, also pests go for this variety first. https://foodplace.info/Bountiful_Figs/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=563#p5601

6. Malta Purple Red been in the ground since 2011, has produced nothing but aborted figs, yet started growing looking way more strong and healthy starting last season, the season before that it looked pretty good too. It seems very cold hardy, yet has been struggling a lot just the same, had almost died.
    https://foodplace.info/Bountiful_Figs/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=208#p4222

7. Gillette (MWamsley) it only produces on milder years. This tree is different than the parent tree that MWamsley got the cuttings from, yet it has to be from the same tree, he had nothing else like it. It’s very cold hardy. https://foodplace.info/Bountiful_Figs/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=134#p606

1 Like

Which one is the sweetest and best tasting.

Many impressive lists! Fun to see folks planting such cool varieties.

I’m just a small timer… adding:
1)Parfianka Pom
2)EverSweet Pom
3)Flavor King Pluot
4) grafting in Wickson
5)grafting in Gold Rush

Maybe a couple of blueberries and a Kiwi :kiwi_fruit:.

1 Like
  1. Unknown Carini (the most sweet strong flavored one)
  2. GM-142 (the 2nd most sweet strong flavored one)
  3. Peter’s Honey (the sweetest one, has a mild to medium cantaloupe flavor, sometimes has a slight berry flavor)

Malta Purple Red is supposedly very good, yet I have not had any production yet so I can not verify that.

1 Like

@Barkslip Hi there Dax. Might you have an extra 100-46 to spare? Please let me know.

—Andrew

1 Like

Probably. I think I have maybe one extra in a raised bed I plan to empty early spring. I have so much snow right now that I don’t have access to the tags.

Contact me mid-March if you’re still interested.

Dax

1 Like

Adding 2 satsuma oranges in-ground to my current collection of 3
Unk. mulberry I rooted from a cutting last year
Hybrid chestnuts
Arbequina olive
Parfianka pomegranate
Unk hardy pomegranate
Lemon Fig
Brown Turkey
LSU purple
Green Ischia

and whatever fig cuttings survive my novice rooting attempts; right now it looks like:
Godfather
Violette de Bordeaux
Ronde de Bordeaux
Olympian
Unk. Sweet Diana
Sweet Joy
Smith

I’ll also be attempting to graft mulberries, Asian persimmons, and Japanese plums/plumcots

1 Like

Adding a Red Baron peach, flavor king pluot,dapple dandy pluot, Parfianka pomegranate, and a sweet treat pluerry. Also was looking for a nectarine to grow in a wine barrel. Anyone have any experience with a necta zee or have any suggestions?

1 Like

I received a bunch of cuttings at this years CRFG scion exchange, so if they all take, I’ll have a bunch of fig, pom, and grapes to plant. Not sure where any of them will go…
Figs:
Excel
BM
Peter’s Honey
Brown Turkey
Blue Celeste
and one or two more I cannot remember

Poms:
Parfianka
Sweet
Ambrosia

3 seedless grape varieties

2 Likes

We took two more big limbs off the sycamore and I’m trying to decide if I have enough room for the three new peach trees and an apricot of some kind.

I may take out my Canadian choke cherries in my park strip since their fruit is so widely spread they are hard to pick, which would make some more room.

2 Likes

Holy crap, my back hurts from reading that list :wink:

Good luck with the planting