Who is getting good crops from in-ground figs in z7a?

That does look good. Not sure why it’s not known as hardy. I’ll be curious if they are a lot further along in a month or not, even the figs not dying back can be set back in their growth by the cold.

My figs are coming back more slowly than I can ever remember this spring, most are only 3-4" above the ground by now. No crop this year thats for sure.

my florea that’s along the house had no dieback at all. the CH had the tips die and inch or so but it’s making leaves and figlets at the end of the healthy branches. florea has figs set all along.

I’m going to plant out an Olympia and a black Bethlehem in that area this fall and see how those two do.

i didn’t really protect them, just threw pine needles in piles on the bases so i was surprised a bit that they are ok. i didn’t take photos today but will post them when i do.

i planted them in ground last year

2 Likes

I got over there to mow today and noticed that while it has leafed out well, it is still a bit sparse.

At the 1st site, I also noticed even more buds appear to be waking up. Though it is pretty late. I could easily have pruned that part off a few weeks ago when it appeared dead, and other buds were leafed out. Is the consensus that it is better to prune off these apparently dead areas, or just leave them to see if they eventually wake up?

I have a huge BB at another site. It often gets 10-12 feet tall or more. But, it also dies to either the ground, or very low. Depending on weather, it can make either a lot of fruit, or a lot of almost ripe fruit by the time the first frost hits in the fall. It is a standard Mt Etna variety, so not very interesting IMO. I don’t feel like I should spend the effort to get rid of it, but I also don’t have any inclination to make more of it.

Here’s a pic of it from 2 years ago, at about this time of year. It grows big enough that I can walk in the parking area behind the white fence and pic figs from the top.

Maybe start pinching early on? I’m not sure how accurate it is, but Google’s AI said you can start as soon as there are 5-6 leaves or they are the size of your hand and early-mid June is a good target. And after pinching 60-100 days until ripe, depending on variety. So, starting soon, they could be ready in late September. I don’t think I ever started that early. But, maybe I should try it on a fig or two.

Maybe I should experiment on the Alma which almost never produce anything…I didn’t even consider moving those to my new yard.

2 Likes

Here’s how far along my Celeste is from its die back.

3 Likes

Ditto here

1 Like

I’m thinking the bb will be better out in the ground than being shuffled every spring; planning to save my energy babying things that are different rather than similar to other stuff (same kind of thinking as you with this one)

i got photos of the in-ground figs, florea has a couple good sized figs on it and CH only little nubs. it’s their first full year in the ground. you can see a bit of the cold damage on the CH.

florea had no cold injuries at all despite all the branches being unprotected, these are in the path of the wind too. the side of the house and the foundation are probably creating a good micro climate there, and I’ve got room for more in a row there.

3 Likes

Here’s the Lola Martin now

My Chicago Hardy arrived today, much more grown out than the Lola Martin on arrival, here it is still a little limp from shipping.

There’s at least a couple large fig trees in my area that I am curious about. I don’t visit them frequently enough to know about their fruit crops though. Don’t know if they’re just cold hardy enough for the area to rarely die back or if they’re in favorable microclimates. Didnt seem bothered the temperatures getting into the single digits earlier this year although the single digit temperatures only lasted a few hours at a time if I recall correctly. Ones in the middle of a parking lot next to the south west corner of a building and the other is in someone’s yard along the street

I used to get good crops from in-ground figs. I put a lot of effort into winter protection. Then the local deer decided that fig foliage was OK to eat. My figs were in a location that was very difficult to protect. So I abandoned those trees.

Now I get all my figs from potted figs growing inside a fence.