Who's Growing Improved American Persimmons? Suggestions welcome!

Early Jewel = H-118 – Very Early, Large size fruit, Red colored fruit, Soft when Ripe very High-quality Fruit Precocious and a consistent producer bears seedless fruit south of the Ohio River due to it being a 90 Chromosome persimmon. Out of the Late James Claypool Breeding program, Very early, large size, reddish colored fruit, soft when ripe.

I wondered exactly how early H-118 was… above are Cliffs description.

It would be seedless for me and i saw a pic of the fruit and it was quite large… large, seedless, ripens in August…

Anyone know how this H-118 taste compared to other early varieties… like Prok, Mohler, Journey hybrid ?

No luck finding any info on K-24B.

1 Like

Early golden is a fast growing type for sure. It appears to be very good for my area. It grows prolifically in Lawrence and has delicious fruit in early September! These are the ones below i grafted with scions from Lawrence Kansas.

This is the fruit i ate below in 2017 in Lawrence Kansas. Very high sugar content and agreeable flavor! 1 1/2" -2" in size with an average 2 seeds per fruit. The parent tree has been around many years with no pests or diseases.

13 Likes

First h63a ripe in Seattle area. This one just fell today
I’m setting it on the counter for a few days

11 Likes

Get us a taste report. Hoping mine will crop next year. H63a is supposed to be top tier.

3 Likes

I just tasted my first H63A fruit on my young tree. I don’t have any named varieties to compare it to yet, but it’s better tasting and significantly larger than most persimmons I find in the local woods.

5 Likes

Elmo A118

Morris Burton

H63a

Of the varieties I grow, ripening order appears to be

1. H63a and H118

2. Elmo

3. Morris Burton (much later)

9 Likes

Here is a video I found of someone walking through their persimmon orchard and tasting a variety of American persimmons. Interesting comments on the aesthetics of the various varieties as well.

10 Likes

That was fun. Thanks for sharing the video.

2 Likes

Some delicious 100-46 have been dropping for a week or so. They practically start dehydrating on the tree, shriveling somewhat. The flavor is very rich with a jammy texture and it’s not too perfumed.

11 Likes

Remind me that I need to find someone with seed in their 100-46. I would love to grow some and see what comes from it.

4 Likes

My 100-46 aren’t ripe yet, but getting close. I just have 3 fruit on a tiny tree, but last year (when the tree was even smaller and insisted on fruiting) they had seeds, so if I find seeds this year you are welcome to them. All my Prok this year had between 3 and 5 seeds each, so there is a good chance there will be seeds in my 100-46, There must be a wild male nearby that is pollinating them, so no promise on what one side of the family tree is offering.

I think my ripening is behind @PharmerDrewee even though I’m further south because the Caddo blackberries have grown huge and are shading my little 100-46 and it was already in only part sun.

3 Likes

"No. From his own writings…John Gordon picked these from populations of seedlings he grew out. ‘SAA’ meant 'Saved As “A”(meaning #1/the best), 'Saved as ‘‘B’’. ‘Saved as ‘C’’. etc.
So… SAA Overleese was his pick as the best Overleese seedling, SAA Zimmerman was his pick as the best seedling of Zimmerman, etc. "

4 Likes

Clark, I know this is a bit off topic but wanted to bring this thread on Zirochka to your attention if you are interested in pursuing that route for trial Persimmon Zirochka/Zirocka/Zirotschka

2 Likes

There could also be large variations in wake up times based upon the seedling rootstock a persimmon is grown on. There are some which wake up way later, these are the ones that are preferred for grafting to amongst other qualities. Since there are no standard methods (currently) for persimmon rootstock propagation, and no named rootstocks I’m aware of like apples have M111 etc, it’s basically a crapshoot as to rootstock performance.

3 Likes

@disc4tw

Yes, some rootstocks wake up slightly later or go to sleep slightly sooner than others. But, there is not a huge amount of variability in that here, especially when we get hit by a blast of sustained heat in the spring. Also, the results I observed were across a variety of rootstocks (multiple sources, seedlings, and seeds) in different locations. There was some consistency in the damage that occurred to specific varieties across all of these variables. The varieties not afflicted by such issues are making fruit and can stay. The others with inferior taste or issues handling a harsh climates will be targeted for grafting to other varieties.

2 Likes

Always looking forward to this time of the year for my American persimmon fruits.

Tony

11 Likes

This year i will try to grow

WS8-10 aka Barbara ’s Blush
100-46 aka Lehmans delight
100-42 Englands called these Large Fruit, Great tasting and similar to 100-46
H63A
i94
Dollywood aka D-128

I was successful with the grafts of

Early golden
Prarie star
Prarie sun

The drought murdered many late season grafts.
Any other suggestions are appreciated!

6 Likes

Sorry to hear about your late season grafts, I had high hopes for your success.

A/118 is one on my add list this year.

5 Likes

How is the flavor? They look like the Early Golden I had this year. The flavor wasn’t as intense as others though.

1 Like

@JCW

I was very hopeful. They grew very well at first, but the drought could not be helped or controlled. All the extra water i had was not enough to make a dent in the dry weather we had. My ponds are down 12 feet of water. This drought is excessive.