Why Gerardi is a dwarf mulberry

Good job!
I would keep that upper near vertical growing branch and just pull it down to horizontal and tie it for next season, but I would cut off that large lower scaffold, you cut will heal over within a year or so. Once your fruit loads build up the growth will be more weeping.
Dennis

2 Likes

I got my Gerardi from USDA-GRIN.

@zendog your neighbors tree reminds me of the “Dwarf Everbearing mulberry”. The one i have always had small leaves and never looked very healthy. Also would die back here in z6 so i gafted it over to Kukuso.

@marten your Gerardi and Oscar look like the real deal. Im definitely no expert. Just a fruit tree nerd. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Took a few Geraldi cuttings July 2. These two look good October 23 so about 30% success. I used rooting hormone but I don’t remember the type.

7 Likes

Dennis that pruned form looks amazing. Does the fruit load pull the branches down like that? It’s not a weeping form variety right?

Even though your tree is 20 years old, it helped me decide where in my yard mine should be moved to.

PS I did get a response from E. L. It was in my spam folder. He stated he still thinks the photos look like Gerardi. I sent him a few shots of the much more densely spaced internodes from photos on this thread as a comparison.

He offered to replace the tree but if it’s an honest mistake on their part for being told their product is Gerardi, then the replacement won’t be any different. I’d rather graft it over from scion from the lovely members here.

2 Likes

Here is my not-Gerardi from EL. I received it as a tiny twig this spring. I would like to graft the real Gerardi next spring, so I will also be looking for some budwood this winter.

3 Likes

@kiwinut id really like to add some more kiwi varieties to my yard let me know if youd like to swap this winter or if you pay shipping i can send some Gerardi scion your way.

2 Likes

My MIL gave my wife 50.00… to get me something for Christmas…

I ordered an Oscar Mulberry from Lucille at Whitmans Farms last week… 1 gal, 30.00 + shipping.

It will ship late Feb.

Merry Christmas to me !!!

I bought a silk hope from her last spring and was very impressed with the quality, great roots 4 ft tall tree.

5 Likes

@Preston

I put on your true Gerardi scion today.

I think it’s a good graft, though the scion was twice the diameter. I did a cleft and angled the scion.

3 Likes

A little over a month and my graft is happy.

I removed the early flowers.

4 Likes