Why Nikitas Gift survive zone 5b?

I always thought hybrid persimmon are self fertile.

I’m 5a/b. Mine died it’s first year to the graft union in 2020. I have since grafted the rootstock to Lehman’s delight which has come through to so far.

1 Like

Roseyanka or Nikita’s Gift?

Nikitas gift

1 Like

Lots of American persimmons, Virginia is the biggest most common group.
But there are others.

They are but NG seems to have an issue with fruit drop.

Have you seen this thread. Nikita's Gift Persimmon Fruit Drop?

1 Like

I know there are more but generally they are not as tasty or cold hardy to my knowledge.

1 Like

The Texas Black Persimmon is claimed to be far superior in flavor intensity & aromas when ripe.
But yes, very heat tolerant, not cold tolerant.
Guess that I keep forgetting there are places with summers cooler than my winter high temperatures.
I have not had Texas Black Persimmon,
Have you?

Have only read part of thread, so far.

I think weird explorer did a video on the Texas Persimmon. My hot summers are a good and bad thing. I would say my season almost contradict each other. From October to May we are generally having snows. Our September are typically part of August is relatively cool most of the time. May to August we are having 80s-100s. Our typical low is -1 to -9 a few days during the winter so they have to be hardy. It seems it can’t be too hardy though. I got some honey berry this year and they looked fine when I got them. Their leaves are super yellow now though because the honey berry have been having to deal with 100 degree weather. Heck even in our house at summer time we turn on the fans and don’t put on any blankets but we still sweat out our clothes when we sleep in summer. I can’t imagine what people mean by cool summers.

1 Like

If you want to experience cool summers, come visit us here in the Catskills. Today’s high is 61*F. Brrr!

1 Like

Our high in Seattle yesterday was 58F
We’ve not hit 70 more than a few hours this entire year!

1 Like

No idea where the Catskills is even. I know Raintree has made videos stating they have plants for more of the cold summer climates which is why they seem to be one of the few nurseries with plants that grow in my area that are Dave Wilson Nursery. Only places I can find that have a wide selection for trees that grow in my area are cummins, Grow Organic Peaceful Valley (though I have not had good luck with them), One Green World and Trees Of Antiquity has some.

1 Like

Nikita’s gift seems very temperamental and dependent on climactic conditions.
In the Pacific Northwest, it appears to be the best tasting persimmon — among the ones I’ve tried so far which isn’t a lot. It produced starting in year 2 and held onto some fruit the first year.
Every year it has slowly increased production. Not a production machine like Saijo or Jiro but quite decent.

3 Likes

The Catskills makes up the northeasterly end of the Allegheny Plateau in upstate New York. My house sits at about 1895 ft; Mt. Utsayantha nearby peaks at 3209 ft – nothing to compare with the Rockies, but cool none-the-less. We were the Summer-time get-away for New York City people between 1870s when the railway came to the village and the start of WWII. Cummings is not all too far away in the Finger Lakes region.

I briefly had a Nikita´s Gift when I lived in Washington, DC. It just started bearing fruit when I moved up here. Sadly I had issues with people walking into my back yard stripping the fruit off the persimmons, figs and pomegranates. So I never got to taste the Nikita’s Gift. I set out several seedling hybrid persimmons this Spring, hope some make it throught the Winter, I may eventually graft the Nikita´s to one of them. It´s a pretty long shot here.

2 Likes

I live and work on the more mountainous side of Colorado. Not something like Aspen per say. There are places in Colorado that are zone 4 still. My work is over 8000 feet elevation which is ironic because it is just a 30 minute drive from me at 5000 feet. My work is at the top though because I have looked a few miles away from my work and it seems to drop a few thousand feet again. As you have seen in this thread the Nikita’s gift persimmon seems to be controversial. It sounds like it is a good persimmon but not very hardy. Heck even in the description on One Green World where they are selling it they state hardy to -10 but then they claim hardy to zone 5. That is what made me start this thread. New York is pretty cold during the winter. I used to watch the New Years music stuff in both New York and Florida. New York it would be as cold as here in Colorado and you would see the cute girls covered up in expensive coats and having a good time. In Florida they were in their cute little dresses you would expect someone to be wearing in the summer time here.

2 Likes

Post pics of the tree.
Soil analysis if you have it.
Information on water supply.
Dropping fruit is usually due to:

1. Too much Chloride, Sodium or Potassium.
  2. Water stress Abscisic acid.
  3. The pH
  4. Too much Zinc or Boron.
  5. Too much Magnesium
  6. Anti-Gibberellins
  7. Invasive soil fungi
  8. Poor soil aeration
  9. High osmotic pressure of soil.
  10. Oxalic acid producing vegetation near the tree.
  11. Silicates from cement
1 Like

I think @aap said manganese helps retain fruit. I watered my persimmons with extra manganese last year and several held significant crops for such young trees.

2 Likes

@PharmerDrewee
If you’re soil is Manganese deficient & iron rich,
then Adding Manganese can result in fruit retention.
Iron increases root growth, but it also increases leaf breathing.
Hyperventilation can cause water stress & an Abscisic acid reaction.
It is part of the FeMo-Cofactor enzyme for nitrogen fixation resulting in Ammonium on the roots.
Very high pH .
Manganese is part of the enzyme which converts Ammonium into Nitric acid.
So Manganese helps microbes lower pH.
If high pH was an issue then Manganese can result in fruit retention.
However, if soil has enough Manganese & you add more, major fruit drop problem.
Balance is what is important!
No easy fixes here.
Causes have to be accurately identified before the negative symptoms can be averted.

1 Like

By the way,I believe that’s @anon47724557 here on the forum. I don’t know if he has first hand knowledge of Chuchupaka, but he’s likely to know more about it than I do.