Why Nikitas Gift survive zone 5b?

Trying to decide on a persimmon cultivar for zone 5. I hear Nikita’s gift has the characteristics of a asian. Even though websites are rating it to zone 5 some on forums are stating servers die back. I have read about NC02 but the only place selling it seems to be sold out.

I am not sure what website rates it for zone 5. You may be able to get by growing NG in zone 5 for a while but my guess is it will be NFL, Not For Long.

I have it in zone 6a. Had to protect it for the first 3 years. It has survived for now but a Polar Vortex could kill it any year. Ask @tonyOmahaz5 .

JT-2 is tougher.

3 Likes

Do you know anyone selling Jt-02 currently. I see cricket hills is selling them but they are out of stock now.

JT-2 has become quite popular. My guess is by now it is too late (all gone.

I suggest you contact @Barkslip . He probably will have it or custom graft for you. I got my scionwood from Dax.

4 Likes

I see there are other varieties like Kassandra. Do you know of any other good tasting hybrids hardy to zone 5 that taste of the asian variant?

I have not tried any hybrid beyond NG. It tasted sweet when fully ripened. Texture is soft. I believe someone like @Barkslip aka Dax or @tonyOmahaz5 have eaten several hybrid.

I don’t know what you meant by tasting like Asian persimmons. To me, Asian persimmons are not very sweet, compared to American’s. I like eating asian persimmons crunchy.

I just put a Kassandra in ground last fall, a gift from a kind member.

1 Like

Just called England’s Nursery. They informed me that due to the nursery closure they will not be selling persimmon anymore. This means the only other two websites I see for Jt-2 are cricket hill and another website. I guess it is worth noting the other website rate Jt-2 as hardy to zone 6 as well. The website I saw rating Nikitas gift to zone 7 was One Green World and a few other websites. One Green World also states NG is hardy to -10 which many would consider zone 6 though. Given you mention Nikitas gift is good tasting I am wondering if it is still worth a try though.

1 Like

I’ll graft you one, a ‘JT-02’. Just message me.

JTB-06 is the only other zone 5 large hybrid. It’s not any different really from JT-02 other than its weeping form from laden/loaded fruit.

Dax/Barkslip

3 Likes

I messaged you.

a lot of people did…

Dax

6 Likes

Dax,
Do I get commission? :joy:, (I hope you know I’m just kidding).

Thank you again for JT 2 scion you sent me 3 years ago. It flowered last year but did not set fruit. I hope it will this year.

@elivings1 , All hybrids and American persimmons turn soft when ripened. If you don’t mind soft texture, you will probably like it. It took me a while to like it. I prefer crunchy persimmons. My friend loves my NG more than his Prok.

3 Likes

You probably don’t want NG because it will die partially or fully. I’ve heard Kassandra you might not ripen fully. England’s offerings like JT-02, JBT-06, David’s candy, Chuchupaka, and others might be worth looking into.

4 Likes

@elivings1
Nikita’s Gift is zone 6b and warmer
Rosseyanka is 6b too

David’s Kandy Korn is now named: Kandy Korn

Kandy Korn is a new hybrid that Cliffie thinks is -16 hardy at the moment. That’s dangerous zone 5 material but it’s so new that it needs to be tested for many years to come to learn just how hardy it is.

I have a very good zone 5b that behaves pretty well and so far the best bets are:
JT-02 (it’s a no-brainer at this point)
JTB-06 (it’s a no-brainer)
Chuchupaka (I don’t know yet). Mine has only seen -9F as the lowest temp in 3-years.

Dax

6 Likes

@elivings1

Here’s your JT-02 graft today:

4 Likes

Good to know it has started. I am eager to try to grow it and am thankful for your help.

1 Like

@Barkslip or others, did you get fruit from Chuchupaka yet?

I have multiple trees/grafts growing vigorously but no fruit yet. I had some blooms last year but none this year.

2 Likes

Nope. I’ve got (2) trees. It won’t be long I don’t think. JT-02 is the same size and set (1) fruit for me this year.

3 Likes

I looked up chuchupaka and can find very little information on that persimmon. I looked at cliff’s website and did not see anything on it. The only things that come up about it is it is a blue persimmon?

2 Likes

Pretty much the only info about it in English is on this forum, as far as I can tell. It’s more of a dark orange persimmon, more like the Americans than the Asians in form and fruit. But supposed to be extremely tasty if you really let it hang on the tree.

2 Likes

See I can’t even find this tree for sale in America. Sounds good but every fruit and vegetable profile sounds good.

2 Likes