Why Nikitas Gift survive zone 5b?

This website lists some information in English as well. It states it is one of the sweetest persimmons and has the flavor of a virgin persimmon which I assume he means the flavor of a American Persimmon. https://mrtexaspersimmon.weebly.com

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not, as far as I can tell. It’s very new and not well known. I’m not even certain it was brought over here legally. I got scion from a forum trade.

Honestly some of the best tasting plants was not brought to it’s location legally. Hawaii has major agriculture restrictions but the plant it is known for being the pineapple is not native to there and was brought in from my understanding. My concerns with new plants is the hardiness of the plants and pest resistance is more unknown. I bought popcorn blueberry plants a few years ago because it had pink blueberries which is really interesting. Turns out popcorn blueberry has some increased risk to fungal disease and by end of the year all my blueberry that were popcorn had a fungal disease. With persimmons you have some hardy to zone 5 but many are only hardy to zone 6 or 7 and up. It will be interesting to see how it truly does in colder regions.

Here is my 13 years old Nikita’s Gift. I winter protected for 9 years plus buried the graft union 6 inches below ground for insurance to resprout to the grafted cultivar. I decided to let it go the last 4 years without protection. The 12 feet tree died to the ground twice with -31F and resprouted last year and fruit this year in a bush form. So buried the graft union for all Kaki and hybrid if you live in zone 6 and lower for insurance.

Tony

9 Likes

We had a Nikitas Gift die back to the rootstock this past winter and our low was -11 degrees F

2 Likes

Dig 6 inches of dirt below the ground level on the rootstock. Re graft with JT-02 and once the graft takes off above ground level then bury the graft union flush the original ground level. So you have 6 inches of JT-02 below ground for resprout incase of the Polar Vortex killed to the ground.

3 Likes

I ended up getting a Rossyanka, Pork and of course Barkslip is grafting a Jt-02 for me for the fall. I am zone 5b and cannot remember the last time we got a -30 temperature if ever to be honest. Cliff from New England Nursery states it has done well with -18 weather which I would hope would be fine in zone 5b. Most winters here don’t get below -9 here and that is only for 1 to a few years a year. The part that scares me about the Nikitas gift was that One Green World states it can only handle -10 and 5b is said to get to -15.

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5,
After 7 years of Nikita’s Gift not wanting to keep its fruit, I am quite tired of the tree. It has flowered in 100’s and 100’s and set like 9 fruit. Last year it kept 3 fruit Yes, I know I need a male persimmon to graft on it.

However, this year, the lower half of the tree has several dead branches. So, went with those branches were Tam Kam, Inchon and Chuchupaka. Winter was not any colder than typical winter. The temp drop in March was only a day or two of 17 and 19 F.

Long story short. I have had enough of NG.

2 Likes

I always thought hybrid persimmon are self fertile.

I’m 5a/b. Mine died it’s first year to the graft union in 2020. I have since grafted the rootstock to Lehman’s delight which has come through to so far.

1 Like

Roseyanka or Nikita’s Gift?

Nikitas gift

1 Like

Lots of American persimmons, Virginia is the biggest most common group.
But there are others.

They are but NG seems to have an issue with fruit drop.

Have you seen this thread. Nikita's Gift Persimmon Fruit Drop?

1 Like

I know there are more but generally they are not as tasty or cold hardy to my knowledge.

1 Like

The Texas Black Persimmon is claimed to be far superior in flavor intensity & aromas when ripe.
But yes, very heat tolerant, not cold tolerant.
Guess that I keep forgetting there are places with summers cooler than my winter high temperatures.
I have not had Texas Black Persimmon,
Have you?

Have only read part of thread, so far.

I think weird explorer did a video on the Texas Persimmon. My hot summers are a good and bad thing. I would say my season almost contradict each other. From October to May we are generally having snows. Our September are typically part of August is relatively cool most of the time. May to August we are having 80s-100s. Our typical low is -1 to -9 a few days during the winter so they have to be hardy. It seems it can’t be too hardy though. I got some honey berry this year and they looked fine when I got them. Their leaves are super yellow now though because the honey berry have been having to deal with 100 degree weather. Heck even in our house at summer time we turn on the fans and don’t put on any blankets but we still sweat out our clothes when we sleep in summer. I can’t imagine what people mean by cool summers.

1 Like

If you want to experience cool summers, come visit us here in the Catskills. Today’s high is 61*F. Brrr!

1 Like

Our high in Seattle yesterday was 58F
We’ve not hit 70 more than a few hours this entire year!

1 Like