Wild callery pear rootstocks

You can always try :man_shrugging: If you can track some down, I would try it :+1:

3 Likes

Just want to point out any pear will work on callery i suggested harrow delight because it works on every callery i ever tried it on.

3 Likes

I think one of the 'calleryā€™s that I dug up and grafted fruiting pears to is actually a mulberry seedlingā€¦donā€™t guess the pear is going to ā€˜takeā€™ on that one. :grin:

2 Likes

Harrow Delight is actually one of the few recommended for my part of MO.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still very new here and not sure if itā€™s taboo to ask this. My apologies if soā€¦

If anyone has an extra scion or two still in the fridge, let me know and Iā€™ll pay you what theyā€™re worth. Looks like Seckel, Starking Delicious and Harrow Delight are all recommendations for my area?

1 Like

I believe Starking Delicious is same as ā€œMaxineā€?
It really is delicious.

1 Like

Nate,
Feel free to ask. As you know, this is rather late but if people have extra scionwood in their fridges, they could sent it to you.

A better place to request scionwood is in the category called Trading Post. Feel feel to post your request there. Good luck.

1 Like

Wanted to past here but decided to google rust on callers pear fruit first and came up with this

Last evening while walking our south field with my husband, I noticed what looked like cedar apple rust. Iā€™m most familiar with this type of rust from seeing it on local serviceberries (amalanchier)used in landscaping- we donā€™t have any ourselves- Iā€™d like to as I once enjoyed the fruits, but now only see them very affected by the rust. The rustā€¦ spikes for lack of a better word, protruded from one fruit on one of our callery trees (we have hundreds in this field of Himalayan blackberry, oriental bittersweet, autumn olive, wineberry, along with some locust and walnut trees). Iā€™d have taken a pic if Iā€™d had my phone. I just had never seen that before- really reminded me of what I see on the serviceberries.

Wondered if anyone else is seeing this and if rust is a pear issue. Hadnā€™t ever heard of it.

1 Like

What your described sounded like Quince Rust on pears.

1 Like

Whenever I look up a pear variety I try to find out how rust resistant they are. Yes pear trees certainly can get rust. If I am not mistaken by more than one type of rust.

Thanks, mamuang and Alan. I guess what most surprised me was that callery in particular could be bothered by rust! My cultivars (not sure if thatā€™s the right word) - what I grafted onto a few Callery- are moonglow and Ayers.

2 Likes

The topic of pear rust is getting more common everyday Pear Rust.

1 Like

You are welcome.

Just two fruits left but exciting to have any!

3 Likes

Sometimes Iā€™m happy just to have one fruit especially if it is my first for a variety.

3 Likes

Nice job on that pear tree!

2 Likes

I have a callery tree in a neighborā€™s yard that fell last year and is suckering wildly. I assume itā€™s Bradford, tree was from 1978-1980? My question is- will this root from cuttings? and what is best for adding as fill in a stooling type bed? My neighbor agreed to let me use the sprouts. So I am making raised bed ā€˜ringā€™ for around the stump and sprouts. I have last yearā€™s rotted mulch, sawdust, old potting soil, rice hulls. Should I just mix all of this and add around the sprouts? Do I need to add rooting hormone to any sprouts?
I have my own wild pear to do this too, as soon as I get around to clearing the drainage swale at the back of my property.

1 Like

Should work . Good luck .

2 Likes

Any ideas whatā€™s up with the moonglow part of my grafted tree? :frowning: I think I left part of the top of the trunk exposed to rain/wetness and it may be rotting. My guess is thatā€™s whatā€™s causing the moo glow part to die. I hadnā€™t taken a close look for a few weeks and noticed this today. I was actually showing the tree to some friends so didnā€™t take much time to look around but only saw one fruit still on the tree. Itā€™s not time to pick it yet, is it? Iā€™m in northern VA.

Updating with some better pics, one of the very brown foliage and one of the graft area. Itā€™s so interesting that itā€™s only the Moonglow part thatā€™s having the browning. Also- how do I know when my one remaining fruit should be picked? Will get a third pic of that:) Trying pics as small size so they can upload more easily.

image image image

Also a pic of the whole tree:

2 Likes