Wildlife in our gardens

I agree, I don’t know how this thing survived the winter!

1 Like

That’s still pretty close to city. That’s a great shot. IMO someone needs to kill it before it eats people’s pets. We do here.

3 Likes

@reno

That is a Coywolf.

3 Likes

This is not who i wanted circling me this morning. Vultures only eat dead things or sometimes soon to be dead things which is not a compliment. Maybe the neighbors are butchering chickens. Vultures sometimes are just hopeful if they catch you out in the open a long way from anything they might make assumptions if they are hungry. Most of our vultures travel the roads looking for road kill. Seeing one is not terrible though 5 or 6 would be cause for concern. If an animal or person was sick in the desert and passed out or didn’t move much a hungry vulture might jump the gun. They are a necessary part of the system.

6 Likes

Little ducklings swimming in River Thames

9 Likes

Have they been adopted?

2 Likes

No, they eventually swam away from that swan.

2 Likes

i seen 2 riding the thermals yesterday on my way to work. they 1st showed up 20 yrs ago. now they are everywhere. turkeys too but the state released trapped ones from s. Maine also 20 yrs ago. trying my hand at bagging one starting may 1st. according to the state harvesting records, no one from central Maine north has registered one yet. season up here has been opened for 3 yrs. i hope i can change that. lots on my wife’s uncles property. counted 12 1 morning in late sept. in 2 separate fields. i know exactly where to set up.

3 Likes

Florida buzzard catching some rays on a blackberry post . These birds are amazingly large. They cast a helluva shadow when flying over. Impressive.

10 Likes

Found this eaten bird in a white pine tree. It had two bands on it. Don’t know what it is. Bands: number 36 and a unmarked purple.

3 Likes

Maybe a homing pigeon?

3 Likes

I didn’t think pigeon at first because of the mostly white color with some dark gray feathers but of course pigeons can be that color. The tag with the single “36” number and the second plain one does point to banding by a hobbyist, so possibly a homing pigeon. We have a hawk pair back for their fourth season so probably their dinner.

2 Likes

very cool looking - but YIKES!

2 Likes

We have a garden table with a bench under this tree, the nest was right above, but no one bothered anyone there; my son did get stung in the lip, but in another part of the garden when he tried to eat a pear with a hornet in it.
Anyway, the hornets die off by November and the nest is empty…

1 Like

Leptophyes punctatissima eating my new red currant:

6 Likes

Invasive ladybird Harmonia axyridis with STD - fungal parasite Hesperomyces virescens

These two are just spreading the infection.

Detail:

4 Likes

Dragonflies are not uncommon

7 Likes

But peacocks are uncommon in the continental US, except in Miami, Florida…

11 Likes

I have a family of these snakes, they’re permanent residents.
This one hanging around the garden table.

Zamenis longissimus - Aesculapian snake

11 Likes

When I was in college my roommate and I were hiking in the winter and found one of those neat paper hornets nests. Knowing that hornets are gone in winter, we decided to take it down and take it with us to our dorm room. We set in on our counter in our warm room and went to dinner. A few hours later we came back to our room. You might be thinking hornets had come out but that isn’t what happened. Turns out that nest had been completely filled with what looked exactly like roaches. It was horrifying. Seriously, there were like over 100 roaches all over the walls, tables, desks, bed. We were screaming like little girls- not my proudest moment! But it was horrific! I honestly would have rather came back to a room full of hornets! ha

4 Likes