Wildlife in our gardens

Canada geese fraternizing with our domestic ducks. They come back every year to hatch out and raise a family.

The time we most resented them was when we hosted an outdoor wedding ceremony near the pond. I put in a few hours of clean-up work.

Hope the visitors are flu-less.

7 Likes

I don’t know why but after a very wet season, I have tons of aphids, I have resisted the urge to spray or squash anything. A lady bug showed up today, hello friend.

5 Likes

My josta is ready to burst, only a few flowers have opened. Impatient bees visit even unopened ones.

I also caught this stink bug, also on josta; this could be Rhaphigaster nebulosa

9 Likes

I spray with water for aphids. All of the different sprays I tried, killed leaves.

2 Likes

I’m too lazy here, that’s why my no spray policy works, lol.

1 Like

Found one on my terrace wall yesterday. My dog barks at them!

2 Likes

saw the first squirrel of the invading army this morning.

trap goes out tomorrow. I’m not giving them any quarter this year. no insects yet, not one

3 Likes

Frogs and toads were in abundance in and around our pond tonight. Probably more than we’ve seen and heard in a dozen years.

7 Likes

And when we got back to the house, a toad was there to greet us by the step stone

Can you see it?

6 Likes

yes and oh I love toads

3 Likes

Here are some more then from our outing.

7 Likes

you guys must have spring peeper frogs? their mating call heralds in spring. should hear them in the next few weeks. for barely being 1in long they are loud but i sleep so well listening to the hundreds of them at night in the fire pond next door.

5 Likes

I couldn’t load a video here with the peeping, trilling, clicking, and cackling, but it was a beautiful nightnoise.

5 Likes

Drunken in pollen

6 Likes

A frenzy on my josta; besides bees, there are numerous other insect species. I caught these three species of flies

Sarcophaga carnaria

Pales sp.

Predatory Scatophaga stercoraria

Also, Polistes dominula on cherry

7 Likes

@Lodidian … that frog with green head is a young bull frog. They eat pretty good.

Nice and tender when young like that.

3 Likes

Coyote with mange , or a dog? I have pictures of coyotes on this camera before, but I am not sure if this is a dog or a coyote.

3 Likes

Coyote /dog cross. We get them here all the time. Bigger and lankier than coyotes with doggish characters. Mangy coyote look… Is that in Columbus? Or outlying? I’m from Reynoldsburg and they weren’t in Ohio when I lived there. 35 years ago though.

1 Like

@reno … i killed a yote with bow/arrow one year late December and it had so much mange… it hardly had any fur left. It had to be miserable mid winter and next to naked.

3 Likes

Right inside of 270 - near Grove City.

2 Likes