Wildlife in our gardens

Hornets’ nest from last fall. They took over the birdhouse.

9 Likes

Wood duck. Red-Bellied Woodpecker. Northern Flicker Woodpecker.
Still trying to get a picture of the Pileated flying around.

8 Likes

Thousands of robins are coming home from their trip south. They are fattening up on worms and picking out spots to pair up and nest later.

2 Likes

Woodcock have been returning to our place since we moved here 20 years ago. There are competing males, so we hear their peeenting from two or more directions. Some years I don’t see them at all. Mostly we can spot them at a distance. Only a few times have I gotten close.

Best time to hear them is around the first nights of spring.

1 Like

They just left my house a couple of weeks ago…….

3 Likes

I’ll have to search for some audio so I know what to listen for. I’m so used to flushing out a ruffed grouse / partridge that it took me more than a moment to realize this was something I wasn’t familiar with. We have Whippoorwill’s here. Thank goodness we run a fan at night, those birds repeat themselves all night long!

5 Likes

A funny clip from a gamecam @ the orchard:
Fox vs Coyote#shorts - YouTube

3 Likes

While in Australia we saw a family of kangaroos in the distance, including a joey. I crept up to them carefully, and they remained very still. Then my wife, who was behind me and had binoculars, called me back, saying “They’re plywood cut-outs!”

5 Likes

Found this little snake snoozing under some pine bark mulch. I made a new strawberry bed and put little snake back under the mulch.

9 Likes

Looks like a ring-neck snake.

2 Likes

@figerama … agree… i found another about an hour later about 20 ft down the same bed.

They say ring necks make good pets… if you wanted a pet snake.

3 Likes

my daughter had a garter snake as a pet for 4 years. i found him basking in the sun on the wood pile. made a terrarium for him. we fed him minnows i kept alive in a old freezer in the basement for fishing. once a week we would put one in his water dish. next morning it was gone. we got him he was 12’'. she released him he was 3ft. and nice and fat. never tried to bite us.

4 Likes

15 Likes

This picture says, I’m dead tired, let me rest. I understand the feeling, lol.

5 Likes

Came upon a snake orgy the other day. Two slithered off leaving a pile together. I could see at least two or thee heads in the pile. There could have been more.

4 Likes

Unknown beetle on pear blossoms. Think it’s a type of lady bug, but i can not remember for sure.

1 Like

Looks like a lady to me.

2 Likes

That was my thought

3 Likes

More monarchs. It’s a game of thrones!!!

7 Likes

Baltimore Orioles like the tops of the biggest trees here in Kansas. That makes them hard to photograph. This is a 50 foot hybrid poplar in a wind break i planted years ago. They are short lived trees. The trees die normally after 15 years but other shoots pops up nearby quickly growing to 20 feet in a year or two. The orioles like many birds nest here.

6 Likes