Wildlife in our gardens

Second favorite bird behind chickadees. Those are some chunky boys :laughing:.

3 Likes

black capped chickadees is the Maine state bird. very friendly. sit under a large conifer here and they will quickly come and visit you to check you out.

5 Likes

At my last house they would eat out of my hand. Stopped doing that when they started landing on me when I didn’t intend on feeding them.

4 Likes

lol! yeah they tame very easily. my grandmother would feed them and the Canadian jays (gorbies) out of hand.

3 Likes

Just before Christmas we had 3F…
Today Jan 2… we got 70F.

Saw some honeybees out today… they liked the smell of fresh cut hickory firewood.

9 Likes

Around 58 if no breeze is about the temps they start being active.
At least to take a crap, but to collect pollen if if there is some.

How did you train them to eat from your hand?

1 Like

Friendly birds, wasn’t hard. Just sat outside with bird seed in my hands.

4 Likes

Its 50 degrees today. Everything is enjoying the calm before the storm on the way. The birds are all enjoying themselves.

7 Likes

Local Kestral out hunting.
JCS_2427~2

8 Likes

from the summer, but since I’m new to the forum, figured I’d post. These guys devastated my crimson sweet crop this year!

7 Likes

My fancy bird feeder going through some rough usage. So are these 4 legged ones. A dozen at a time. Probably could feed them as close as 6 feet.

5 Likes

The aphids must be here because the lady bugs are going at it in the wind.

4 Likes

I took these photos while visiting my grandfather back in 2021. I love how fat the deer are in much of Ohio. The local Blacktail deer in W. WA are forced to live off of city landscaping, and are nowhere near as impressive. There is also the Ohio ban on modern rifles. Deer hunting is less of an industry than some surrounding states.

I love how they seem to be covered in rolls of fat, lol.

4 Likes

There is no ban on modern rifles. It just has to be a straight wall cartridge. Purpose being that a 44 mag 454 casull or even 357 mag drop much quicker with the usually much heavier bullets. The impact is ferocious but they drop quick and won’t go into farmer Joe’s house.

Deer really have very little pressure in Ohio. They are corn fed. Soybean fed. And the coyote and human are their only real predators.

I don’t know about now but when I lived in Ohio deer died every year from starving to death. Not sure if it was CWD or not.

True day the deer in Ohio get mighty big and fat. Very dangerous to cars :flushed:

2 Likes

i got a Ruger American in 350 legend i bought to hunt a family friends farm in Delaware. my brother used it last fall there and managed a 230 yd shot with it on a large doe. that’s really stretching it but possible. not much energy left at those distances to get the job done . was using 180 grn winchesters. dont know if id want to eat deer east of e. Palestine, OH though.

3 Likes

let my chics out today to get some sun and exercise as their run is full of snow. when i came back from town i noticed a bird eating scratch with the chickens that id thrown down. it was a ruffed grouse. this is in a pretty open area in my yard and they are a deep woods bird so i was suprised. im also surrounded by fields. i slowly walked to within 25ft.and watched him. he barely took notice. the chics didnt react to him at all. like one of the flock. i watched him feed with them for 10 min. then he walked down the plowed road and flew up into my big spruces probably to digest his meal. real cool.

9 Likes

Last summer I flushed out a Woodcock walking from the sawmill back to the house, I’ve never seen one before. Do you get them? I had a ruffed grouse eating my serviceberry buds a couple springs ago. We get a lot of them, sound like little lawn mowers trying to start.

3 Likes

we have tons of woodcock. no ones eats them here so they dont hunt them. just as it starts to get dark in the fall they come out of the woods and eat the worms in the mud puddles on woods roads. when i was younger we would take turns standing in the bed of the truck and shoot them as they flushed from the mud puddles. great fun! tastes like liver. the dog used to get them most of the time so we stopped shooting them. Mainers call them timberdoodles. hardest game bird to shoot out of the air.

3 Likes

Over the past month, I have had up to 10 lesser goldfinch as same time at the same feeder, a couple of juncos, a hairy woodpecker, song sparrow, and fox sparrow. Most of them ate at the same time as other species, sometimes out of same feeder at same time. These all enjoyed the suet with meal worms, sunflower seeds, and niger seeds.

Avoid cheap mixes at big box stores, as millet isn’t liked and is used as filler.

7 Likes